Increase tax on booze?

observer

IMO alcohol should only be served in Pubs and clubs.

So where would anyone then buy a bottle of wine for at home, or a nice single malt to sample occasionally?

I know, France.

Which is interesting, since the average bottle of wine costs about ?1.50 there....and they don't seem to have a binge drinking problem....until the British arrive for their Summer holidays. :wink:

The British seem to have an historic genetic predisposition to binge drinking; so until that can be eliminated, restrictions to access need to be applied. :roll::wink:

It seems to me that people & the media are jumping on the activity of "binge" drinking (whatever that is suposed to be?) rather than the anti-social activities of a few mindless morons out to cause trouble. As one of my mates frequently says, there were about 8 of us, every Friday & Saturday night supping between 10 & 20 pints each; we never once got into a fight, or got spoken to by the police or vandalised anything.

In my experience the people who cause bother after they've had a few are the same ones who cause bother before they've had a few; there are simply less curtailments on their behaviour in the city centres at night.

What has happened over the past 20 years is that we have town & city centres increacingly devoted to late night drinking so all the trouble makers come together. The days of "local" being the centre of 16 to 30 year old's evening activity, with the occassional trip to the town / city centre has gone.

You want to reclaim the centres at night - you arrest those causing bother & put them in jail for 10 years, simple! Otherwise don't bother & give up trying!

Just to widen this bit, Why should I a responsible drinker have to pay more or have my drinking curtailed by pub drinking hours because of a mindless minority :!::!::!::wink:

Just to widen this bit more, Why should I; a responsible British Taxpayer have to pay more to fund poorer European states or have my freedoms and liberties curtailed by unelected Eurocrats because of a mindless minority? :lol::lol:

I don't deny global warming I deny that me driving big cars has anything to do with enhancing it.

Look, if global warming was as easy to get rid of as you people seem to think it is, ALL scientists would agree. ALL governments would BAN cars of over 1 litre immediately, regardless of the impact and thus solve the problem

They won't be so radical because they realise that once they do something like that and nothing actually changes with the warming cycle, they will have been found out and their tax cow would come to an immediate end.

And my car by the way (actually 3.2 litre) has emissions on a par with a 2.0 litre diesel Mondeo) so not as bad as some!!

I bet you either ride a bike or drive one of them Prius things?

I worked there once; under the big central chimmney (In the days when I had a proper job!) dirty horrible place

Whenever I go past, I always remember the caravan they had on the front when there was a picket line out there!! Thats why there is all that undulating concrete on either side of the main entrance; to stop them doing it again.... just never got changed after all these years!!

• 4 months later...
Again I am a responsible drinker why should I have to pay more because of a minority :?:

You make a very valid, fair and reasonable point, however majorities always suffer the consequences of the behaviour of the minority. And until our society effectively prosecutes and punishes those minorities, the innocent majorities will always end up being "persecuted" in one way or another. All rather depressing I'm afraid, as was the documentary Observer referred to in an earlier post.

Smoking causes cancer = high taxes and bans. :roll: Now we know binge drinking causes cancer and sirosis, Town Centre and domestic violence resulting in (other folks ) death, and fatal traffic accidents; it also overloads the time and energy of our emergency services. :shock: SO, responsible drinkers unfortunately will have to join the queue with responsible smokers - and pay more! :shock: Cos, if you think about it; your paying more anyway, in taxes, to fund the response to this mayhem. :twisted:

Whilst agreeing with most of the above I would nit pick on the definition, you don't need to be a binge drinker to commit a crime, you only need a drink.

Binge drinking is just a relatively recent label for someone being "in his cups", it is not new it is just seen as more newsworthy.

Don't give 'em more ideas Kyje - sun-tan centres next! :wink: But, by the same logic, it follows that life-style choices the results of which, impose additional burdens on the NHS and other public services and ultimately fall on the tax-payer, should be paid in part by those who indulge in the causitive factors. :shock: Something I don't think we would ever consider prior to the economic collapse, but such things will no doubt start finding their way into public debate, as future Government focuses on more taxation and/or cuts in services. :shock: