What are they worth?

observer

Seems no matter what political colour the Council is, it keeps returning to remuneration. Having set up an "independent" assessment cttee; seems they (the councillors) want a pay rise, so are claiming they work more hours - so what does the hourly rate work out at - over to you Paul?! :wink:

Or you'll get people with more money that most normal people who are just looking for something to occupy their time. I?ve met a few that fall into this category and in my opinion, their views often don?t reflect reality.

Edit.. Just read what I wrote. Seems they'd make ideal councillors. :lol:

Bill :)

Why not, the bankers and their directors are screwing the government and the people. So what makes you think, that our local councillors are unwilling to have a share of that. As we all know back hander?s are short on the ground in these bad economic times,................ yer right they should do work first, most of all they should cut down on there expenses. Some one needs to remind them they are working for the local community as its them who will be footing the bill if they get a pay rise

Could this be set and monitored by an independent body to prevent the bun fights?

Ideas for KPIs - Performance Targets?

1. attendance and punctuality

2. no. of surgeries held

3. no of queries dealt wth within sservice level agreement

4. no. of queries deakt witj successdully first time

5. minus no of complaints

6. minus no of sware words used in a meeting

etc

so what does the hourly rate work out at - over to you Paul?! :wink:

Based on the verified sheets that I submitted when the survey was done, my hourly rate after tax and NI deductions is about ?5.50. ?507.49 per month which includes a travel allowance of ?20.33 less tax and NI as well.

I note from the January payslip my total earnings for the year are ?5864.48, from which tax deducted is ?1172.80 and NI to date is ?247.28.

I am a member of the Members' Allowances Working Group. It has produced a superb report, whether the Independent Remuneration Panel considers its findings is their decision.

So (trying to be fair); if they claim "to work" 28 hours per week, what would that be if they got the National minimum hourly rate for those said hours? :? And how would that compare with current rates? :? Once you've settled on that; either automatic rate of inflation increases, or parity with the National minimum hourly rate; should maintain remuneration levels and allow Members to forget about their own money and concentrate on how they spend the rest of our rates - or will they start claiming that their hours keep increasing?! :roll::wink:

RESIDENTS may have to fork out an extra four per cent for their council tax bills.

In the consultation papers for the 2009/10 budget, it reveals a planned increase in council tax, of 82p per week for Band A households.

Clr Keith Bland, deputy leader of the council, said: ?We are committed to doing everything we can to keep the council tax low ? we realise in this current climate that we have to do that.

The Liberal Democrat and Conservative alliance council also stated that the four per cent increase showed that each year they had managed to reduce the rise rate since taking power.

so two things I need to know please

where will the ex money come from to give you a pay Increase?

who will be paying ?

:lol: Where've you grasped 35% from Pierre, talk about living on myths! :roll: Well thanks to McBs maths, we seem to have a reasonable conclusion - however, I await the claim next year, to argue they are then working 30 or more hours a week! :roll: Guess it will stop when they reach 168 hours! :wink:

Hours will be reviewed every 4 years, and given that the guidance says that Councillors should also be able to do a full time job as well if they want to, there is a limit to the number that they can actually do. As Dr Hall, an acknowledged expert on Members' Allowances and contributor to the report said, there is a difference between the hours actually needed to be a Councillor and hours done, those for example who are retired will spend far more time just because they have the time. :wink:

Indeed if I was still a Managing Director, I would have limited time available, in fact I think it unlikely that I would be a Councillor....or regular poster on this Forum. :wink::D

Personally, and I know Dr Hall agrees, I think that there should be a national pay scheme for Councillors.....life would be so much simpler.

Life should be simpler, by politicians concentrating on the issues at hand rather than the weight of their wallets; how much of your 28 hours Paul, have you been engaged by this "special" cttee, that is replicating the remit of an existing "independent (no councillors) cttee?! :roll::wink:

This is like a typical story I see time and time again it may go something like this

Mr X is a full time area sales manager, has to juggle the demands of his job, sitting on 5 council committees, plus all his case work in his ward, and of course, his family. It was calculated, that he gets around 5000 emails, 300 letters and 1100 phone calls a year - just to do with his council work. He also spends more than 200 hours a year in the Boroughs and Parish council meetings combined. I think we can agree that Warrington residents are getting value for money from their for MR x Party

Hold on here........ you know what the job involves when you took it ? You all put your-self?s up for election. you where not made to run for election ?.

ok lets look at it another way say, like a tender. as you know in a tender people calculate what they will do in the job. And only then put a price in for the work. Is this not the same thing ?

So as an elected member you know all too well what has to be done and what it will take in time and effort.

No good getting elected and then saying, ?I need pay rise?.

yes the job its self should be above the minimum wage. By how much should depend on a work related pay, like what can I achieve ? so it should be cap to resalable amount and then say this is what the job pays, can you work for the local people for that amount. if not. do not run for election.

"easy there you go solved it" CAP it . Next