What a load of Kak a -

observer

Not sure how you can Observer, if overseas investors have more money than sense and are hell bent on wasting it, what can be done. I heard on the radio that a fee of ?108 million is being discussed, for somebody who kicks a ball around...it is so obscene, it really is and even more so when I guess many supporters are struggling to make ends meet in these difficult economic times.

it is a crazy amount of money, however

...football is the most popular sport on the planet, and makes billions a year in advertising revenue and TV rights. If the players weren't making these crazy amounts of money the fat cats who run the game would

The fees in this particular case are extreme because Man City's foreign investors have so much money that they can spend more than they earn. On top of this because everyone knows how rich they are, clubs and players will hold out for as much as they can get, thus exacerbating the situation further

City aren't the first team to spend above their means. Blackburn, Leeds, Chelsea etc. many clubs have done it before. It just seems that people are more worried now its City

City aren't responsible for causing the current transfer climate. In fact they have come to the party pretty late

The only way this could of been avoided is by action from the people who actually run football. A worldwide salary cap could of been implemented by FIFA. it would have to be FIFA and it would have to be worldwide as not to punish individual leagues

anyway, whatever the price it would be nice to see Kaka playing for City

Andy

not a football fan then i take it?

In football, you learn to support your team unequivocally! that means whoever pulls on that shirt you support them. Most players are bought, if not from abroad from another club.

Manchester City actually has a great youth academy, with many of the graduates making the first team, or moving to play professionally elsewhere

Every sports fan across the country (football, rugby,cricket) watches players who are PAID to play for them

as sad as it may be there hasn't been a top level sportsman yet who has said "keep your money, ill do it because I love the game"

nice thought, but never gonna happen

I wonder what Cloughy would say?

He signed Trevor Francis back in 1979 for ?999,999. He didn't want the tag of ?1 million to go to Francis head but after tax it exceeded the sum. However even at today's prices, taking inflation into account, the fee would only be just over ?3.29 million.

Still your only worth what the boss will pay for your labour. :wink:

I wonder if it's having an impact on snooker with O'Sullivan calling for someone like Simon Cowell to give an impetus to the game so that the money will return to the baize.

ha ha pull the other one Pete :wink: with that sort of passion from him and his mate we'd have no sports facilities in the Town. :x

One thing that you can't say about the Premier League yesterday is 'boring' - weren't there some great matches with all the top teams leaving it until the last few minutes, all the underdogs playing their hearts out. Just a pity that one player was having a go at his team mates in an unprofessional way :twisted: .

Joey's passion we can all do without.

The case in point is all speculation anyway

the figure of 100 million is probably correct. i mean the Real Madrid had a similar offer for Cristiano Ronaldo turned down in the summer. Its just because it Manchester City that its got everyone moaning

and as for the 500k a week, thats just a number made up by the media and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

How have they offered that sort of money when they haven't even spoke to the player to discuss personal terms?

he is probably on 150k a week at milan, so they will have to match that, no player is going to take a pay cut to move, but that made up figure of 500k is ridiculous

There's one way Paul; the Government could slam a "transfer" tax on these transactions, plus increasing super- tax on such earnings to 99%. :shock::wink: Ironically, some footy clubs have gone bankrupt and had their tax liabilities written off - crazy. :roll::wink:
That's a brilliant idea Observer. In fact why not just close football clubs down altogether and save wasting time on such a stupid idea?

Only in Britain could a country have the prospect of 3 of the top 4 players in the world playing in their league, and all you hear is moans about it.

the Arabs are some of the richest guys in the world, how many yachts can they buy, or houses, or diamonds? So they fancy sticking money into football, good on them. It's not like they are even pretending that they are running any sort of business model, it's philanthropy, nothing more or less than that.

Rant over/

I fail to understand how fans can owe any allegiance to a "bought" team of mercenary footballers, Mancunians can't claim any success to Manchester as a result of any progress in the League, which makes the whole thing nonesensical. :?:roll:

So it amounts to a show between the highest bidders, not a sporting competition between various Towns/Cities - so I completley fail to understand the territorial hysteria. :roll::wink:

With your self-confessed lack of understanding, probably best you listen and not talk in this thread eh? :roll::wink:

The case in point is all speculation anyway

the figure of 100 million is probably correct. i mean the Real Madrid had a similar offer for Cristiano Ronaldo turned down in the summer. Its just because it Manchester City that its got everyone moaning

and as for the 500k a week, thats just a number made up by the media and everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

How have they offered that sort of money when they haven't even spoke to the player to discuss personal terms?

he is probably on 150k a week at milan, so they will have to match that, no player is going to take a pay cut to move, but that made up figure of 500k is ridiculous

If rumours are to be believed, Kaka will now be staying at the club.

He has already come out and expressed his love for the big 3 - Manchester United, Chelsea, and Liverpool. Even if Kaka does end up joining them, the move in my opinion has disaster written all over it for the club. At present, the club should be focusing their attentions on achieving a mid-table finish but even that I find pretty poor considering the money the club have spent up to now. The heart of the club is being ripped right through by the Arabs who appear not to know a thing about football. Whilst it has been said by many, the club really would be better off signing five or six players at much cheaper prices such as Craig Bellamy who is thought to be available for ?14 million, rather than Kaka who would probably stay a mere two seasons, if that. I find it astonishing how much the club are pushing to sign a player who if rumours are to believed, will have a great deal of clauses in his contract allowing him an awful lot of say in his future. The club would be in far safer hands with the likes of Randy Lerner(Aston Villa's Billionaire Owner) in charge who was so far worked wonders for the club, one small step at a time and hasn't gone overboard with his spending.

Not sure there's anything to "know" Fats; which is probably why your such a fan! :roll::wink:
plenty to know and get excited about, which is why it' the most popular sport in the world.

It's also why you now have all those channels on Satellite, without football there would be no other channels out there, so perhaps you should be less critical of something of which you have no interest or understanding?

I am always highly wary of the anti-football brigade, it seems usually to be based on a total lack of ability to play the game themselves that turned them so much against the game, and those of us who get pleasure from it. :roll:

its funny aswell that no one really ever talks about movie stars and how much they earn

top actors and actresses can pull in 20 million for a movie, yet when top footballers start earning millions a year people start calling it immoral

they are both entertainment and both industries rake in billions of dollars each year