Warrington Ghosts - can you help?

big ste

I have to make a documentary about Warrington ghosts for college and I'm struggling to find information on the ghost of Buttermilk Bess, so far I've only got info about her selling cheese to the people working on the bridges, and her ghost been seen numerous times on Sankey Way. She died in 1790, but that's about it really. Any info about tales you've heard or whatever please let me know.

Anybody got any experiences with any particular Warrington ghosts?

Specifically; headless airmen of Burtonwood, Buttermilk Bess, Lady Isabella of Bewsey Hall or the supposed 'face in the water' of Gypsy Flora Romano near the Fiddlers Ferry Tavern?

If you consider yourself an expert on Warrington ghosts I'd love to hear from you (bigsteuk@gmail.com), and may need to interview somewhere in town centre on Thursday.

Thanks in advance

Hi Ste

The man you want is Wally Barnes. Lives at Whitecross but have lost his phone number. Somewhere near the Mad Hatter, I think. He has written several books on the subject of Warrington ghosts. Probably out of print, but you may find some in the local authors section of book shops or at the Warrington Book Loft.

Hope this helps

Cheers DS, I did use this part of the forum to discuss Wally Barnes, but that was quite a few years ago now.

If anybody has contact details of the great man then please let me know :lol:

I have tried finding his books before, but the only copies I found were in a section of the library in town where you couldn't take out the book itself (when I asked the lady she said the Wally Barnes books pretty much always get stolen).

Cheers DS, I did use this part of the forum to discuss Wally Barnes, but that was quite a few years ago now.

If anybody has contact details of the great man then please let me know :lol:

I have tried finding his books before, but the only copies I found were in a section of the library in town where you couldn't take out the book itself (when I asked the lady she said the Wally Barnes books pretty much always get stolen).

perhaps I'd better auction my signed copies on e-bay! :roll::wink: