1st Swimming Gold in 20yrs, World Recs & Team GB success

Geoffrey Settle

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

South Aftican ?? who are we talking about here ?? Beth Tweddle has lived most of her life in mid Cheshire (home) and Liverpool (Uni and training)

As for this banter on one legged individuals and parrots, you are beginning to make me as sick as one - just hope you will have a bit more respect for the paraplegics when their Olympics start - and you may not know but the first ever Olympics limb amputee will be competing in a new swimming event this week - open water distance event.

As for this banter

Yes Pedro banter, if you have a problem with it then ignore it and leave it to posters with a sense of humour.

The participants in the paraplegic games will have my utmost respect and they will probably have better banter than passing references to one legged hopscotch players and parrots and accept it a damn sight better than you.

First 18 months of life in South Africa and next 22 years in Cheshire - that's good enough residential qualification to be part of Team GB for me and shouldn't need to provoke sarcasm by suggesting she's not a true Brit. We're not talking about a Zola Budd 1984 situation here.

As for the one legged hopscotch I interpret that as sick humour combined with sarcasm as to the type of sports in modern Olympics - you may not like my criticism but I am entitled to my opinion which is also of the view that sarcasm is the lowest form of wit :(

sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

Wow, that is original :roll:

BTW, I wasn't being sarcastic I was being serious. We are totally outclassed in various sports and I rather think that someone who has had to contend with losing a limb would certainly beat our competitor in a hopscotch contest.

Of course we can't have hopscotch in London 2012 because drawing lines on the pavement is considered graffitti.

With you Eagle; only the events included in the original (ancient Greek) Olypmics have any meaning - how, for example can someone riding a horse win a gold medal, when it's clearly the horse that is the athlete?! :roll: Interesting data on TV tonight on the level of investment per gold medal; it's something like ?4million; and that doesn't include the cost of the 2012 Games - talk about wasting money! :roll::wink:

First 18 months of life in South Africa and next 22 years in Cheshire - that's good enough residential qualification to be part of Team GB :(

Strange how people pick and choose to suit.

Beth Tweddle born and raised in South Africa, moved to England and became a 100% Brit.

Wherehas Mel C for example was born in Whiston Hospital, 6 hours later taken home to Widnes, 16 years later moved to London but regards herself as 100% scouse. :roll::roll::?:?

First 18 months of life is hardly 'raised' in country of birth - unless you mean having to be picked up before you can walk or maybe she started to perfom on the bars extra early - as for 'scouseland' where does it start and end these days ?? - felt very much in the centre of it a few days ago collecting a reserved order at Argos in Halton Lee shopping centre - wasn't it Runcorn Shopping City some years ago ??

With you Eagle; only the events included in the original (ancient Greek) Olypmics have any meaning - how, for example can someone riding a horse win a gold medal, when it's clearly the horse that is the athlete?! :roll: Interesting data on TV tonight on the level of investment per gold medal; it's something like ?4million; and that doesn't include the cost of the 2012 Games - talk about wasting money! :roll::wink:
'per gold medal' Observer, for every gold medal winners there's dozens of people participating in sport that are nowhere near that level.

Waste of money - not in my eyes, for far too long backing sport in this country has been almost a taboo, not before time we're starting to value sport.

It's a pity on this site that once more someone like Pedro with a wealth of sporting knowledge is knocked by the idiots who obviously don't like sport.

Their only interest is to mock and ridicule

I believe that the youth of this country are being inspired and dreaming of what might be in 2012. For once this country is up there as one of the best performing nations and the achievements are plain to see something must be going right in this modern Olympic era.

If you can?t get excited by what?s happening now then there is no hope for you.

It's a pity on this site that once more someone like Pedro with a wealth of sporting knowledge is knocked by the idiots who obviously don't like sport.

Which statement by Pedro do you come to the conclusion that he has a wealth of sporting knowledge?????????

Was it the one where he spotted an undone shoe lace? :?:?:?:roll:

So, aside from the personal health and fitness element to the individual, and possibly entertainment value to fans; perhaps you could expound on the overall cost benefit to society Geoff?! :roll: It might be helpfull, in explaining our priorities to the elderly who may have to choose between heating or eating this Winter, or the homeless. :wink:

Geoff, what exactly do you mean by your statement "someone like pedro"; you obviously know him but what right have you to back his sporting knowledge against any other poster? :evil:

I will back my sporting knowledge against most people on this forum, that is not a boast, it is a fact. I say 'most' because I am sure there are people who know more than I but I take exception to your suggestion that pedro's wealth of sporting knowledge means that I shouldn't comment on sporting matters.

My latest gripe is the surprise silver medal by "Ya Man " in the high jump.

EAGLE - sounds like you should have entered Sports Mastermind. No, Geoff and I have never met, but I did once get close to him when he was running the Whitley Road Race - I was on a motor cycle at the time. Maybe Geoff saw me take the cash answering Athletics questions on Double Your Money in 1961 - on second thoughts, no, he wouldn't have been around then :lol: - new Games event today and tomorrow - 10k open water marathon swim - women's features first ever amputee in Olympics.

Silver and bronze in the new 10K open water women's swim earlier today - congrats to our girls just pipped by the Russian - more local interest - our medalists train together in Stockport pool - maybe you can tell me Eagle, is it true the Manchester velodrome will not be used for 2012 Olympics and instead a new velodrome to be built in London area ?? this is not a trick question - just think you will be the one to know this sort of thing !!

All I remember of the 10k at Whitley was briefly being stalked by a BMW Pedro was riding pillion, he has a faster marathon time than me so has my respect as a runner. He has also come up with loads of interesting facts and figures on this site over the years in relation to track and field with a particular emphasis on the Olympics which I believe he has been to several as a spectator.

This crop of Team GB athletes have benefitted greatly from the legacy of the Manchester Commonwealth Games (Swimming & Cycling) as have other sports like Football. Yes City now has the stadium but along side it is an excellent athletic stadium (which I believe used to be the warm up track for the games). It would have been criminal to leave the city of Manchester Stadium empty for most of the year. So in my opinion very good forward planning?

As for Germaine he got where he is by talent, hard work and yes a British passport - well his dad is British so that surely helps - and if you viewed the 'making of me' featuring Colin Jackson his Jamaican Roots.

Finally as for Sport taking away the heating bread and butter etc away from our pensioners I didn't realise there was such a direct relationship - isn't there something called the lottery grant etc? Please believe me Olympians have grandparents as well you know.

With the announcement of spending being capped for 2012 maybe the anti sports lobby will get off the London 2012 backs and support their prospective Olympians.

Anyway let?s look forward to a Gold BMX Gold Medal without anymore crashes and kids turning up at Victoria Park to celebrate on their bikes instead of wrecking the facilities. If kids could get back into sport more than they have been over the last few years looking forward to an Olympics in their own back yard then that would be an excellent legacy.