Scones

Mary

Not to hand but I do so will try to remember to bring with me and let you know ( only usign PC at work at mo).

Butter milk makes all the difference, plus FAR too much clotted cream from Cornwall only and erm, rasberry conserve would be the condement of my choice and preferably eaten very near the sea in Cornwall with my best friend, erm can you get all that where you are Mary? :wink:

Got one somewhere if I can find it that my son made at school... they were really nice and not brick- like.

Question... how do you personally pronounce the word 'scones' ?

It's an ongoing arguement we've had for many years as some of us (including myself) say say 'scownes' and yet others say it the posh way of 'scons'.....

Just wondered :?

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone have a tried and true recipe for scones?? Please say yes!

The ones over here are like bricks - I have made a couple times and they aren't the same as any I got over there![/quote Hello mary have some good recipe for scones. Born in UK Warrington actually moved to Canada Toronto in 1966, took me ages to get use to the flour overhere, anyhow here is a recipe.Enjoy:- 2 cups all purpose flour, 1/4 cup sugar. 4 tsp baking powder,1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 cup cold butter. 1 egg, 2/3 cup milk/ In large bowl put flour,sugar,baking powder & salt.Add butter, cut in until crumbly/Make a well in centre. In a small bowl beat egg until frothy.Stir in milk.Pour in milk. stir with fork to form soft dough. Turn out on a lightly floured board Knead for 8 to 10 times Divide into 2 equal parts. Pat each into 6inch circle. Transfer to greased baking sheet. Brush tops with milk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 mins until risen and golden brown makes 12 scones. I sometimes put a piece of parchment paper on my baking sheet. This recipe you can use cheese 1 cup, currant scones 1/2 cup, cream scones omit milk use 2/3 cream. I spread my scones with preserve whip up cream cant get double devon cream (clotted cream) they are delicious. Enjoy.

Veronica.Canada :D

Rich Fruit Butter Milk Scone:

8oz self raising flour

1 and a 1/2 oz caster sugar

Pich salt

3 oz Butter - rom temperature

2 oz mixed dried fruit - can be let out if not wanted

1 medium egg, beaten

3-4 tablespoons buttermilk to mix

A little extra flour for dusting

Sift the flour and salt into bowl, sprinkle in the sugar then gently rub in the butter lightly until the mixture looks like bread crumbs. Sprinkle in dried fruit if using and pour in the egg and 3 of the 4 spoons fulls of butter milk and start to mix with a knife, mixture shoudl be soft but not sticky, add a lttle more milk at a time if needed if the dough seems too dry.

From dough into ball and turn onto lightly floured surface, roll lightly until 1 inch thick and cut using cutters apprx 5 cm, place on dough and give sharp tap. Do not twist the cutter when removing just push dough out, carry on till all dough is used up, place the scones on a lightly greased baking tray that has been dusted with a little flour and bake for 10 to 12 minutes on a top shlf at gas 7, 425F 220C or unil they are risen and golden brown.

On removing from oven allow to cool slighlty ona cooling rack then serve very fresh with butter, jam, cream, whatever you like :D

These need to be eaten the same day as they will not keep however they will freeze but eat on day of defrosting.

Mary, they are yummy, :wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...