The end of "free speech" ?

The Scots Parliament; that glorified County Council;  has passed a law against "hate crime"; which basically allows anyone who is offended by what you say, to report you to the Scottish Police Force, who have commited to investigate every case.   However, it can apply to the rest of the UK also, as an offence in England, reported in Scotland, can result in the Scots Police seeking your arrest.  The Tory Gov knew this law was being enacted in Scotland but chose not to veto it; indeed the Scots Labour Party supported it.   So the uni-Party is complicit in this ban on free speech,  something we've criticised authoritarian regimes for eons.    With a lack of real policies, no doubt a future Labour or even Tory Government, will adopt this law for the UK, in order to gag ordinary working class folk, who know what a woman is, and call a spade a spade, from voicing their opinions.   So don't suffer in silence, challenge this woke imposition at elections, by voting for a non-woke candidate.     😠

so unless you know every language spoken in this country then how can you tell if you are being offended.

for example somebody saying something in welsh could be calling you rotten or merely saying that the weather is rubbish today.

unless you are fluent in welsh or have the translate app on your phone then how do you know?

same goes for any language or dialects for that matter.

my one comment would be "CRIVENS !!!", a feegle statement that can either mean  "oh dear" or "you is going to get such a kickin ye scunner", or anything in between...:roll:

As far as it appears, this is a "point the finger" law,  weighted on the side of the accuser and complainer, but I would imagine requiring witnesses.   So woke trans groups could simply make it up and complain, and the Scottish Police have commited to investigate every complaint.  No doubt opposition groups could flood the Police with counter complaints, causing the Police to be swamped with a spurious workload.  In any event, it's got to be repealed asap and should never have been allowed by rational Government, and clearly points to a need to scrap these devolved institutions and return to sanity.  Seems J.K. Rowland has offered herself as the first martyr in this regard.  😠

Depends how you look at it. While some might argue that it’s the start of a slippery slope, others might suggest that inaction itself could be just as dangerous. Too easy to write this one off as just more wokeism but no one can deny that there’s a growing trend of hatred and threatening abuse in our society and a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

The important caveat in all this is that it’s only what a reasonable person would find extremely abusive or offensive, so me calling you a silly old plonker won’t really get me in trouble. 😂🤣😅

Bill 😊

Come on Bill, you know what this is all about,  it was introduced by Useless Youseff, and supported by the woke leftwaffe,  who's only arguement in debate is to silence the opposition.  There's an old saying we used as kids, "sticks and stones etc, but words can never hurt me", time the woke folk hardened up.     The hatred is comming from the likes of Youseff,   who came out with a diatribe of anti-white envy, in a Country where over 90% of us are white.   😠

Well of course nobody like wokeism but this doesn’t seem like anything that prevents people speaking their own mind but rather reminds the nutters and extremist that there’s a line where hate speak and threats won’t be tolerated. Sounds perfectly acceptable to me but if you’d rather see it as some kind of political football then that’s your choice.

Bill 😊

There’s a huge difference between what can happen in Russia and what’s being proposed here. I don’t know but I’d think that most ordinary people here in the UK would have enough sense to be able to see the difference. If there’s a similar rule in Russia that says you’ll get into trouble for threatening terrorism and violence then that’s fine, but you know as well as anyone that just speaking out about the government there is likely to get you into big trouble.

Despite the media making a meal out of this, probably 99.99% of people here won’t have anything to worry about. We’ll all continue to call our politicians a waste of space and even say some want shooting for their decisions. We can do this because the people these new rules are out to stop are the crazy extremists rather than the general public. I’d rather be labelled woke than agree that the likes of just stop oil have the right to continue disrupting everyone’s lives. There needs to be a line somewhere to define where rights don’t impinge on common decency and respect for others.

Bill 😊

This is an attack on anyone that contravenes woke ideology -  the prime one being addressing a male who identifies as female, wanting to be addressed as such; despite the realities of biology.   That's why J.K.Rowling is under threat, the woke establishment have already tried to "cancel" her, but it hasn't worked.    As for the violence aspect to free speech, I believe current laws cover "incitement to violence", so no need for this woke nonsense.    :rolleyes:

J K Rowling isn’t really under any threat is she. All she’s doing is highlighting the point that things could go spectacularly wrong if these new laws were being enforced by someone that’s completely out of touch with reality and doesn’t represent the public view. In theory it could happen but in reality common sense and public opinion would always prevent such things happening.

The way I see it is that this law isn’t intended to stop us calling a spade a spade, now that would be wokeism, but rather it attempts to try to stop a minority taking matters too far.

The important thing for me in all of this is the inclusion of hatred as being unacceptable. You only have to look at the situation in Gaza to see what could happen if it’s allowed to continue unchecked. It’s something that’s difficult if not impossible to legislate against so I doubt the new laws will have that much of an impact. But it’s important because hatred is the root of all evil and in our social media dominated society its growing like a cancer.

Bill 😊

23 hours ago, Observer II said:

This is an attack on anyone that contravenes woke ideology -  the prime one being addressing a male who identifies as female, wanting to be addressed as such; despite the realities of biology.   That's why J.K.Rowling is under threat, the woke establishment have already tried to "cancel" her, but it hasn't worked.    As for the violence aspect to free speech, I believe current laws cover "incitement to violence", so no need for this woke nonsense.    :rolleyes:

No it's not!!!!

And free speech has to have limits!!!, You insult the leader of Russia, prepare for palladium!!!

Free speech does have limits in law, national security, defamation etc.  Well, it's all backfiring good style,  according to "the Preston Journalist" they've received 4,000 "complaints" within the last 3 days, and Police Scotland are commited to investigate each one, so they're swamped and hoisted by their own petard !      😆