GPs overworked ?

Observer II

Seems GPs want a daily limit of 25 patients, to manage their workload safely.   Understandable I suppose, but at the end of the day, it's about supply and demand surely ?   So the first port of call would seem to be recruitment and training to increase supply, through our universities.  Meanwhile, using trained nursing staff to deal with less critical, non-urgent appointments.   :rolleyes:

I saw on telly yesterday that there’s a move to allow chemists to issue certain items like some antibiotics and contraceptive pills without the need to visit the doctor. This should help a bit but I doubt any of us will notice any difference.

Overall, my view of the health service has gone down in recent years especially when it comes to trying to get appointments where they say they’ll get back to you then weeks or months later you have to ring them back to find out what’s happening.

Bill 😊

The average appointment allocation is 15 minutes.

so 4 patients an hour.

25 patients would be 6 hours and 15 minutes.

call it 7 hours with a 45 minute lunch break.(usually 30 minutes)

top it up to an 8 hour day with telephone appointments adding another 4 patients per day to make it 29 patients daily per doctor.

the practice nurse deals with most of the routine injections and medicine reviews also results of blood tests if there are no problems. (this typically takes between 5-10 minutes depending on the patient)

it is surprising what pharmacies are allowed to do these days without you having to consult a doctor.

I do wonder though what used to be in that bottle of pink stuff that was prescribed for anything short of loss of limbs that they used to prescribe for every ailment when i was a lad...🕵️‍♂️