Windows 11

Bill

With that information we now know that you can check the label on the back to see if "OEM" or "Original Equipment" feature on it. If one does the key died with the motherboard. You may find looking at the user instructions for slmgr at the ss64.com site. It lets you see what the type of the current key is and to rearm the activation but it seems to have have some quite dangerous options.

I am not quite with the logic of more space before a reload. It may be that you have files in "my documents" etc and that they can be saved on your second disc  hence reducing the size whilst you upgrade windows. Have you used Tree-Size Free to see where your disk space is used and if you can delete things that are no longer needed?

at the moment am all at sixes and sevens as regard time for getting stuff done. 

sorting out the pc is low on the list for now and i can live with it for the time being.

it is labelled as OEM software so at present will have to leave as is until i can get time to sort it out, probably something to do in the long winter evenings after sorting the house out and whatever paperwork various establishments want me to send them after mrs sid's passing away.

surprising how much junk you can acquire in forty odd years and the late mrs sid was a hoarder. i found receipts for stuff going back too the eighties....🤦‍♂️

1 hour ago, Evil Sid said:

at the moment am all at sixes and sevens as regard time for getting stuff done. 

sorting out the pc is low on the list for now and i can live with it for the time being.

it is labelled as OEM software so at present will have to leave as is until i can get time to sort it out, probably something to do in the long winter evenings after sorting the house out and whatever paperwork various establishments want me to send them after mrs sid's passing away.

surprising how much junk you can acquire in forty odd years and the late mrs sid was a hoarder. i found receipts for stuff going back too the eighties....🤦‍♂️

Good luck with all the sorting Sid

• 4 months later...

I have now successfully updated the system disc from MBR to GPT which is a pre-requisite to moving from Windows 10 to 11 if your disc is based on an older system. It is best done as you change systems with a retail version of Win 10. As I said before OEM licences will not work. You also need to make sure that your new motherboard has a TPM2.0 in hardware or an emulator which can be enabled in the BIOS (Generally only Bit locker seems to need it). The disk conversion programme work best in a offline version of Windows called WinPE, which you can get from MS and put on a USB (32GB) yourself. I suspect that no one wants to be bothered with this stuff but if you do say so. Or more likely just ignore me!

transferring my old c drive to the ssd was quite painless using a bit of software recommended online. three clicks and a five minute wait and it was all done.

with win10 no longer supported i am resigned to the fact that i will just have to put up with the 'activate windows' message as there is no way to activate windows according to microsoft.

the only software i could not get to work was the office 2007 stuff. microsoft want me to go to office 365 with it's annual license fee, however libre office does the trick and will even run all the old files that were originally from old versions of office and has the added bonus of a drawing package should you want to produce designs or layout of the house or whatever.

windows 11 will be sometime in the future, when they have worked all the 'bugs' out, or windows 12 comes out...:roll:

my laptop started out as windows 7 and has successfully transitioned to windows 10, mind you it has not had any hardware changes and only gets switched on for a weekly virus update and a scan. (also so slow that starting up means i can go and make a cuppa whilst it does so).

In practice Windows 10 has its own virus checking so it may be that the slow response is because your virus checker is just doing everything again , with windows makings sure it does it right. I found that when I took the virus checker off my old windows 7 laptop which ran like a dog I could get it to run windows 10 home reasonably well. 

Windows 10 is still supported at the moment but a fairly major change is expected for 24H2 which will probably still be called Windows 11 but was previously expected to be windows 12. 

Not sure I understand the Office 2007 issue Will office 2007 run in Windows 10? - Microsoft Community

for some reason this new build will not let me run office 2007. not really a problem as i said libre office does it all anyway and even reads files created in office without any problems.

2007 does run quite happily on my laptop though.

the slowness of the laptop is probably due to it's age it's at least 15 years old so well past it's sell by date. probably see it on antiques roadshow before too long...🤣

looking at the blurb sticker it only has 3gb of memory so the pc equivalent of a goldfish.