Kids

Bill

There’s a lot of reports doing the rounds at the moment about large gangs of kids causing grief in and around the town.

Just in the last couple of weeks, I’ve lost count of how many fires have been started in parks of a night.

No respect for the law, covid or anything.

So how do we fix something that’s the product of several generations?

Bill 😊

Bolted gate shutting horse bolted after... comes to mind

Damage was done when corporal punishment in schools was abolished and teaching staff were powerless to enforce discipline.

Plus the police are fighting with one arm behind their back for much the same reasons.

Bobby Dooley will be turninig in his grave watching the feral behaviour so common on our streets

He had the perfect answer

• Upvote 2

Every morning, when entering the classroom, a teacher would be greeted with a chorus of "good morning sir" or "good morning madam." At school, the teacher would have a bell made of nickel sitting on her desk, and whenever she rang it, she expected to garner the full attention of the class. Discipline was strict in schools, as boys got a caning and girls got slapped on the knuckles with a ruler. Corporal punishment was practiced frequently, and this was taken for granted by the children’s parents. Children were expected to be quiet and well-behaved at school. Detention was given for many misdemeanors, and children were never meant to speak back.

It worked a treat children were controlled and it followed that they respected authority.

• Upvote 2

I can’t understand how it could be so different now. Sixteen years ago, when I lived in Woolston, the green opposite my house was always full of kids of all ages and other than a bit of litter, there was never any problems during the whole 25 years I was there. If ever I did need to have words, they were always respectful and apologised.

I’ve always believed that providing you don’t dive in ranting and raving, you’re more likely to be listened to.  

Thinking about this though, most of the neighbours would argue the kid’s ought to go and play in the park instead of in front of their houses but why would they do that when there’s a perfectly good field much closer?  Plus, if they play nearer to home they have to behave because they’re recognisable. Maybe we need more places like that field where kids could just hang out locally, especially as it seems parks are becoming a major problem area?

Bill :)

8 hours ago, Bill said:

There’s a lot of reports doing the rounds at the moment about large gangs of kids causing grief in and around the town.

Just in the last couple of weeks, I’ve lost count of how many fires have been started in parks of a night.

No respect for the law, covid or anything.

So how do we fix something that’s the product of several generations?

Bill 😊

You never know Bill - they could be just out carol singing and getting a bit carried away ;)

• Haha 1