Most popular name ?

I was going to say "Christian" name, but no; you've guessed - the most popular boys name in Britain is Mohammed (according to s/media reports). Which just about sums up the state of the Nation.    :D    Coming up fast though, is the Islington Pied Piper with Corbyn;   which does suggest it may be preferable to have an IQ test prior to having kids.  :D

• Upvote 1

Judging from the number of phone calls i get from india the most popular name there must be  Dave. Either that or the same guy keeps phoning me up.:rolleyes:

"hello my name is Dave from (insert current scam name) calling about ,some sort of security breach, hack, refund of ppi, win on the (obscure country) lottery, lifestyle survey".

I do wonder though, who does these survey's and why, apart from stirring up racial hatred that is. If they had gone round all the welsh villages doing the same survey would they have got the result Dai. in Scotland would the result be Joch or Jimmy and maybe Patrick or Mick for Ireland.

the results of a survey are as about as useful as a five year weather forecast. Unless you are a politician or are trying to prove YOUR point.

• 2 months later...

Had a look at that article and was trying to figure out what the time period for the collection of those statistics were. Is it between 2015 and 2016. or between 2016 and 2017. or even 2014 and 2015. The article does not make it very clear.

One spin you could put on the info as opposed to "Mohamed is becoming more popular" one,Is "Out of the 46,601 people who's names appear on in the top ten names list 42,693 are NOT called Mohamed"

Its like saying six out of seven dwarfs were not happy.

Maybe the people called Mohamed were named for some famous figure, hailed as one of the greatest in his time and still revered as such to this day.

Traditional names seem to be dying out due to celebrity influences and odd fancies of new mothers to be that bit "different". I have three young relatives whose names are Blaide, Rain and Hunter.

At work 50% of my customers are Pakistani and the majority of them are called Mohammed it's just an incredibly common name.

When I started work back in the mid sixties I worked in a department with just 11 people and seven of us were all called Bill!

Mohammed :)

15 hours ago, Bill said:

Edit

Well that's another post I can't be bothered re typing.

Anybody else finding that whole blocks of typing often just disappear when hitting the return key?

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

It's never happened to me Bill.......

Could it be that you perhaps somehow highlighted your text before pressing 'return' as that would then delete whatever was highlighted.

not something that i have come across either. I have to watch what i type though as i tend to find that my typing is often half a paragraph behind what i am thinking of typing which then leads to me stopping and having to spend a minute or two trying to sort out where i am up to. i also find that i type so fast that i end up with spaces in the wrong place so have to go back and edit the words to make sense.

I have found that faceache has an odd habit of being about half a sentence behind what i am actually typing when i do post on there. can be really annoying, especially when you try to edit to catch up and it puts the cursor in the middle of the sentence. i usually end up deleting the lot and starting again.

I remember when PC's were first gaining popularity and they had a 250 character type ahead. anybody who was a touch typist often had to stop and wait for the characters on the screen to catch up. could be quite funny seeing them sat there and words appearing on the screen without them touching the keyboard.