Euthanasia ?

observer

Well, the news item mentioned that one of the reasons that dementia had shot up the "cause of death" league table was that people were living longer. At least we can be comforted by the fact the other previous killer diseases are being brought under control in order to provide an increasing number of dementia victims.

Looked it up on the nhs website.

Quite interesting in a way as dementia has no single cause and is basically a catch all term for any number of debilitating brain diseases usually manifesting in later life.

Alzeimers is one one form that can strike at any age apparently. Saying that the symptoms are usually the same or very similar does make it a bit confusing though Especially when you get older. :lol: :lol:

With similar outcomes, the problem remains the same; so, are we prepared, can we afford, the level of care necessary to provide dignity for victims ?   Charities are already criticising falling standards in elderly care services, and I think we're all aware of the effect of "bed blocking" on NHS Hospitals, who face financial crisis.  This disease is one that impacts on relatives, emotionally and financially, and the question is: do we sweep the issue under the carpet, fudging any debate or decision, and allowing inhumane and undignified outcomes OR provide a logical pathway for victims ?

But on the other side of the coin a deceased child has been granted her wish posthumously to be frozen until a cure can be found for the cancer that killed her. Who will pay for that & for how long ?  The family ,the NHS ? The treatment is taking place in America so it won't be cheap & if the family cannot pay after so long the NHS may have to takeover funding ad infinitum or defy a court ruling. 

So will euthanasia or not & cryogenics all depend on your bank balance ?

I sincerely hope the NHS won't be saddled with the fantasies of a 14 year old. Both parents could have agreed to the girl's wishes, then reneged on it when she died, and she is dead, no coming back. The facts of life, and death can be quite hard to take for a generation being brought up on dreams.

But on the other side of the coin a deceased child has been granted her wish posthumously to be frozen until a cure can be found for the cancer that killed her. Who will pay for that & for how long ?  The family ,the NHS ? The treatment is taking place in America so it won't be cheap & if the family cannot pay after so long the NHS may have to takeover funding ad infinitum or defy a court ruling. 

So will euthanasia or not & cryogenics all depend on your bank balance ?

That's so very sad :( 

I can understand why parents would want to grant their dying child's last wish though if they could and perhaps hope that science would one day prevail.

Rights or wrongs of it, or if it will ever be possible, to find a cure and then bring a frozen 'person' back to life and treat them successfully for something they have already died from is all beyond me. 

Maybe one day it will be possible though..who knows. 

Saddest thing though to me is that it may take so long that the frozen person could come back to life so far in the future that all their family, friends and everything then once knew is gone anyway.  Now that would be hard to deal with.

• Upvote 1

Given current levels of cryogenics it is even doubtful that she would be able to be revived even after a short while. Frozen sperm and embryos have a certain shelf life i believe but they are relatively small organisms with little or no actual memories other than the genetic coding. Larger things such as people do not fare so well according to certain "experts" and i would also question if the person that was revived would have any memories whatsoever after an extended period of cryo storage.

The reason that the court ruled as it did was that the parents could not agree. The mother was all for the procedure (what mother would not want their daughter or son to have  a chance to live a longer life no matter how slim the odds) but the father wasn't hence the case went to court and the judge ,after visiting the girl in question, ruled in favour of the mother and the girl.

As for the age she would be both providing all her memories remained. Her mental and physical age would be 14 but her actual existence age would be 214.(the date of the NOW minus the date of her birth) A bit like time travel really but one way into the future, something we all do by the way,so in effect we are all time travellers of a sort evn though in actuality we live in the little glow of light that is now.

• Upvote 2