Well travelled..... but local

Dizzy

To cut a very long story short my printer broke and as it was still under warranty (normally I would have just taken it back to Argos but they don't stock them anymore) so I contacted HP support in the UK.

At first they said it was out of warranty until I emailed them my receipt so that was fine.  They were very helpful and I had a 38 minute call with a technician who had me doing all sorts of magic things but it still wouldn't work so they said they would send me a replacement.  Marvelous :)

I've been tracking my parcel and here what happened from the UK people saying I would send me one.

12 June - 12.00 hours...... The order was processed and ready for dispatch by UPS in the Czech Replublic

13 June ......  Origin Scan and Departure Scan both in Nurnberg, Germany

13 June....... Arrived in Herne Boerning, Germany and left there 3 days later

16 June....... Arrived in Berking UK  and left the same day

17 June........ Arrived in Tamworth UK and left the same day

17 June.......  Arrived in Manchester and left the same day

and still ong the 17th June.... it's just arrived at my house :)

So....  my new (probably reconditioned printer with a 3 month warranty) has been on quite a journey and when the very nice UPS delivery man just delivered I laughed about it coming all the way from the Czeck Repulbic.

He grinned and asked me if I knew where HP were based.  I said 'Czech Republic maybe'   to which he grinned even more and said 'No they are up the road at Daresbury Park'

Madness or what !!

• Upvote 1

He grinned and asked me if I knew where HP were based.  I said 'Czech Republic maybe'   to which he grinned even more and said 'No they are up the road at Daresbury Park'

Madness or what !!

Hi Diz,

It`s only an office based at Daresbury, no manufacturing or warehousing.

Like the majority of all the products we buy these days, there manufactured in Countries with cheap labour.

Ian

Ah I see, he said he's always delivering printers to them and had just dropped some off today too.  Maybe the ones they use don't last 12 months either so they have to give themselves replacements, perhaps they should buy a different make for their own offices  :lol: 

I wonder how much it has cost to ship my 'presumably refurbed' printer though and surely there must have been some available somewhere in the UK

brother had a daft story with a part for one of his american cars.

Ordered the part on a monday.

Dispatched same day from west coast of america.

Transferred to overnight flight on west coast of america that evening and landed at stansted tuesday am.

From stansted to liverpool overnight.

From depot in liverpool to his house in newton le willows.

EIGHT DAYS!!!

Fantastic to think that it took about a day to get to britain from the far side of america and then almost unbelievable to get the last twenty or so miles takes eight days. even by carrier tortoise it would have got there quicker.

• Upvote 1

Why do we always say goods are made abroad are made in countries with cheap labour?  Sometimes this may be true - but equally sometimes the problem is that labour in this country is expensive!

I would say it is more to do with the other point raised in this thread - the fact that something can take longer travelling from Liverpool to Newton-le-Willows than coming from the other side of the world.

Why do we always say goods are made abroad are made in countries with cheap labour?  Sometimes this may be true - but equally sometimes the problem is that labour in this country is expensive!

Perhaps using the term `cheap labour` was miss leading or miss read, but if the labour costs of another Country are less than that of the UK then the labour rate is cheaper, irrespective of whether the UK labour rate is considered expensive.

HP clearly like China..... this says they are building a huge printer manufacturing plant there and they already operate some others over there too.  Clearly China must be cheaper and better than the USA too then.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/253997/hp_to_build_new_printer_manufacturing_facility_in_china.html