Price of books

I think books have gone up an awful lot in the past 10 years. Used to be you could buy a new murder mystery, softcover, for like $4. Now that same book is worth $7 or 8.

So go to the local library and borrow books to read.

As far as books to buy for your home such as history or computer books they are outrageous and they know it and still people buy them.

Steve said it well. Depends on the contents. What bugs me is the weight of textbooks. They charge $60, $70, or $80 for an instruction book that is outdated after one year and must be discarded, but to justify they price the print on lead coated paper, evidently or lead in the binding. A kid carrying a backpack has more weight than we carried in the armed forces to have all our necessities. Mary???? Alana??? Teachers ???

Yes Jerry textbooks are very heavy.

Charity shops are a good idea for the odd reading book but if you have to buy a text book or a how to book they are very dear!

I suppose people are not buying as many books with the internet to give them information but I love to read and use the computer!

Mary, texts out here are not 'very heavy' -- they are bone crushingly, spine bendingly, Sisyphus boulders that are a threat to our childrens health. And I think it is purposeful, just so they can charge $100 for a one use text, dxxx their eyes!!!

If I bought every book that was recommended by my university, I would be spending hundreds per semester.

Used text books are a good idea, as Mary suggests. I sometimes buy used books from Amazon for half of the price that they are selling in shops. Another method I use is the Athens webpage. You need membership to look at it (I think librarys can log you on to it) This site has thousands of books which you can view online, and if there is a certain subject you need to look for, it will search the contents for you (not always acurate though :) )