Pint with some'body' ?

Dizzy

I often come across old newspaper clippings where people have been reported as being injured (sometimes seriously) or even worse found dead in strange circumstances and they (or their bodies) always seem to be taken off to the nearby pub. 

I realise that there were no telephones in those days to ring 999 etc but WHY the pub ?

I just came across this one quite by chance and to think that the young girls body parts were collected up and taken to the pub is quite gruesome... and sad too.

Where was the Sankey House Chapel Inn ?  Would that possibly be the Chapel House pub at great sankey which is still there as that looks quite old ?

quick edit...... luckily before posting the rest I realised my mistake and edited as her father was clearly not reported as being 5 years older than her... that's his house number :oops:   

1879MaryLeggedeathSankeyChapelHouseInn_e

be either that or the church as both were considered the hub of the community. The church would probably not have been "manned" whereas the pub would have a landlord living in and the cellars would be cold so the remains could be stored there without them going a bit iffy. Of course I am just speculating on all this. maybe the landlord doubled as the coroner or doctor for the area. Then again it could be that they "pickled" the remains to preserve them, which would make asking for a short a bit risky. :|

Pickled remains on the bar could have been a delicacy I suppose and a change from pickled eggs :lol:

Makes sense about the pub being open etc and maybe they used the alcohol to clean wounds, maybe not though.

Some do mention injured people being taken to the pub and the doctor being sent for, no phone in those days so perhaps the docs lived near the pubs.

Pickled remains on the bar could have been a delicacy I suppose and a change from pickled eggs :lol:

Makes sense about the pub being open etc and maybe they used the alcohol to clean wounds, maybe not though.

Some do mention injured people being taken to the pub and the doctor being sent for, no phone in those days so perhaps the docs lived near the pubs.

More likely that is where you were certain to find a doctor or coroner!.

It seems to be a national thing, I found a suicide report from the 19th Century here in Diss and, same thing, the body was taken to the pub. My friend now lives in a house which is a converted outbuilding of that pub and she's freaked out thinking the victim may have been laid out in her living room!

I'd guess it's just because it's a public building. There wouldn't have been hospitals in the modern sense but what about police stations? Or Morgues? Or undertakers?