Beatles sing Carole King songs in the 60's

Geoffrey Settle

This appeared on my FB site from the Carole King FB site - it's from the archives. Do any of you remember it :?:

"Don't Ever Change" written by Goffin & King in 1961. The Beatles performed the song on their BBC radio show 'Pop Go the Beatles'. It was taped on August 1, 1963, had its first broadcast on August 27, 1963, and was a rare harmony duet between Paul McCartney and George Harrison.

I wouldn't know one Beatle from another, but the one on the left has got a capo attached to his guitar - a clear sign that he couldn't play it very well.  Was that a typo Geoff - shouldn't it had been a "raw" harmony duet?

I would sooner hear Carole King sing the Beatles could she could sing a bit and the Beatles did write a few decent songs.

A bit before my time Geoff but quite a catchy tune.   1min 22s in made me giggle.  Did you see that :lol:

..... the one on the left has got a capo attached to his guitar - a clear sign that he couldn't play it very well.  .

Adam..... you say the most ridiculous things at times..  :lol:   :P

What's ridiculous about it Dizzy?  A capo is a device which enables unskilled guitarists to play chords which they can't otherwise play.

It's not before my time - and at the time it was well-known that the Beatles frequently used session musicians to play for them because they were not that good themselves.

John Lennon was once asked if Ringo Starr was the best drummer in the world. He replied: "He's not even the best drummer in the Beatles."

But I repeat: they did write some quite good songs.

A bit before my time Geoff but quite a catchy tune.   1min 22s in made me giggle.  Did you see that :lol:

Adam..... you say the most ridiculous things at times..  :lol:   :P

I wouldn't know one Beatle from another, but the one on the left has got a capo attached to his guitar - a clear sign that he couldn't play it very well.  Was that a typo Geoff - shouldn't it had been a "raw" harmony duet?

I would sooner hear Carole King sing the Beatles could she could sing a bit and the Beatles did write a few decent songs.

Adam is spot on. playing guitar with a capo on is like training wheels on a bike, I wouldn't think of using one it's  for people learning to play the guitar who can't play bar chords. I've been playing guitar since the late 50's, 20 of those proffesionally.

Here is another Carole King song that they sang, she writes:

""Keep Your Hands Off My Baby" written by Gerry Goffin and Carole King. It's been recorded by many artists, most notably Little Eva, who had a #12 hit with the song on the Billboard charts in 1962. The Beatles recorded the song for the BBC radio show Saturday Club on 22 January 1963. They also performed it in the following month on their first British Tour. It was released on their album, Live at the BBC in 1994."

Oh no Geoffrey...! It was George Harrison I fancied not Paul McCartney - he can keep his pants on!

Wonder if McCartney knows about the leather trousers going into auction? I would guess if he did he would be taking Mike Hoggard to court to stop him and to get the pants back.

What killed any regards I had for McCartney was an episode a few years ago when the widow of one of the Beatles' roadies, who had recently died at the time, was going through his possesions when she found in a pocket a scrap of paper with the words of one of the beatles' hits written on it. The widow decided to put it up for auction. As soon as Mccartney (who at that time had a fortune of four hundred million pounds)  immediately took court action to stop her from auctioning the scrap of paper and to retrieve it from her. Bloody Scouse Sgrooge!

• Upvote 1