The Sixpenny

Cleopatra

I recall a discussion some time ago about the Sixpenny Walk. No pictures were posted but I just came across this one. It was quite spooky to walk through when dark and sometimes, when I felt a strong adversity, I would avoid it by going all the way round through one of the streets.

1148_10151675373958919_867711798_n_zpsb5

Well, you know it was haunted, Algy. An older (well reaching 65 anyway) man was on his way to work at Rylands early one morning (just before 6am) when he collapsed and died at the Dalton Bank end. I knew the man. A good few weeks later I was walking along the Sixpenny and was surprised to see he was walking just a few feet in front of me but when i got round the bend he had disappeared, gone completely. I know he couldn't have reached the end in just a minute or so and I don't believe he would have been able to run so fast either.

And yes, I did sometimes see a courting couple or two doing naughty things there in the dark.

Well, you know it was haunted, Algy. An older (well reaching 65 anyway) man was on his way to work at Rylands early one morning (just before 6am) when he collapsed and died at the Dalton Bank end. I knew the man. A good few weeks later I was walking along the Sixpenny and was surprised to see he was walking just a few feet in front of me but when i got round the bend he had disappeared, gone completely. I know he couldn't have reached the end in just a minute or so and I don't believe he would have been able to run so fast either.

And yes, I did sometimes see a courting couple or two doing naughty things there in the dark.

I had a similar experience in about 1956 after leaving my girlfriends house late one evening and riding my bike home to Lower Walton, at that time she lived in Wellfield Street off Liverpool Road and I always travelled up Slutchers Lane and along the cinder track behind Thames Board Mills crossing the River by the twelve Arches Bridge, there were no lights and it was pitch black with only my bike lamp lighting the track ahead, this particular night I saw in the distance this faint light coloured  apparition approaching me, needless to say I applied the brakes pretty sharply, it still continued towards me but then before reaching me vanished, now, there were the locals that swore that the cinder track was haunted by the ghost of someone who had committed suicide by placing their head on the railway line that ran parallel with cinder track, I continued home shaken but otherwise OK. A few nights later at the same place the same thing happened again only this time I didn't stop and neither did the apparition it came straight towards and wooshed by narrowly missing my head, it was a flipping great barn owl, boy did I feel somewhat relieved but stupid. The first encounter, the owl must have turned off into the trees before reaching me!. never bothered me after that, I was dead brave!. :oops:

Think I have posted this before.  Excellent training ground for young bobbies.  'No cycling allowed' - but they did.  Don't think anyone ever went to court over it - a bye- law offence.

Happy days

:oops: I was one of those who used to cycle down the sixpenny. Hell's bells! it was too long to push a bike especially when it was easier and quicker to ride it. :lol:

I had a similar experience in about 1956 after leaving my girlfriends house late one evening and riding my bike home to Lower Walton, at that time she lived in Wellfield Street off Liverpool Road and I always travelled up Slutchers Lane and along the cinder track behind Thames Board Mills crossing the River by the twelve Arches Bridge, there were no lights and it was pitch black with only my bike lamp lighting the track ahead, this particular night I saw in the distance this faint light coloured  apparition approaching me, needless to say I applied the brakes pretty sharply, it still continued towards me but then before reaching me vanished, now, there were the locals that swore that the cinder track was haunted by the ghost of someone who had committed suicide by placing their head on the railway line that ran parallel with cinder track, I continued home shaken but otherwise OK. A few nights later at the same place the same thing happened again only this time I didn't stop and neither did the apparition it came straight towards and wooshed by narrowly missing my head, it was a flipping great barn owl, boy did I feel somewhat relieved but stupid. The first encounter, the owl must have turned off into the trees before reaching me!. never bothered me after that, I was dead brave!. :oops:

It's difficult to put your bowels into reverse though Algy !