Great Old photos of Warrington

Dizzy

Some fantastic old photos of Warrington on the below link but anyone got any idea where the Stockton Heath Lake and Open baths were ?

I know there was a lake on/near Mill Lane playing field (near alexander park) but can't get my bearings from the photos other than part of it was at the rear of some terraced houses.. maybe Fairfield Road I don't know. Any other info about it too if anyone knows anything please

Loads of other pics too ... you have to click the 'show info' at top right for the description of each photo though :wink:

I'm sure that I havent contravened any copyright by posting this link as there was an option to 'share' on the photo album and that's all I've done by posting the share link :shock::oops:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_burke/sets/72157611595693009/show/with/3137071294/

Loads more old Warrington photo's (1850 to 1930) by someone called 'Thimpson' on the Flickr website :D Cool :D:wink:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14235409@N06/sets/72157622164882677/show/with/3896648535/

Thank you. Fascinating.

I liked the old Dog and Dart xroads.

The view into Grappenhall (Latchford Without) was interesting from the swing bridge. It took a moment or two to realise that it was before the houses on Queen's Drive and Thelwall New Road were built.

Some fantastic old photos of Warrington on the below link but anyone got any idea where the Stockton Heath Lake and Open baths were ?

the open baths were behind the forge where the doctors is, the swimming lake was bottom of mill lane the field behind the scout hut,

Thanks Mr Chubb :D Just looked at the online old tithe maps (1836-1852) for Mill Lane playing field and like you say the lake or 'Mill Pool' as it is listed was indeed there :D

The lower end of the 'Mill Pool' (near the scout hut) was in the Township of Appleton, Parish of Great Budworth and the upper end was in the Township of Grappenhall, Parish of Grappenhall... later 'Latchford Without'. How confusing is that :lol:

The occupier was a Joseph Blinstone and I've found reference elsewhere to a Joseph Blinston being a miller and farmer at Latchford Corn Mill

The rest of Mill Lane field was called 'The Windmill Field'. Wonder if there was once a windmill on it ??

Sorry Im rabbiting on again :oops:

Are the open baths you are referring to the ones that belonged to the old St Thomas' Primary School near the forge.

Superb photos of old Warrington, images like these never suprise me on how much Warrington has changed for the worse.

Other facts of interest about Warrington that is was well known for ship building, glass making eg. Robinsons as well as the Wire trade, but you regular posters already knew that

What this forum needs is a local history spot by Janice Hayes of Warrington Museum fame?

I'm sure that's a young Wingnut on the left,showing a bit of ........

:lol::lol::wink:

PS Anyone that looked at the first link when I originally put it on... have another look as there's loads more old warrington photos on it today... 106 pics to be exact :D Superb :D

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike_burke/sets/72157611595693009/show/with/3137071294/

Even an old fogey like myself can't agree that Warrington has changed for the worse.

Some of those poor people and their housing; smoke; dirt..............

Let's just say as in many things, if only we could have the best of the old with the best of the new.

Happy days

I agree in a way Harry and I know what you mean about the poor people and the housing but there's something rather refreshing and uplifting about seeing how things used to be with the old quiet spacious streets free from traffic and litter etc.

Love all the pictures of people milling around in their finery of the day, although slightly grubby I suspect, and kids just being kids having fun by their own devices.

Were they happier then than we are now... guess we'll never really know :cry::wink:

Would be good to be able to compare the same photos from the early 1900's with those through to the 1950/60's and onto present day.

Superb photos of old Warrington, images like these never suprise me on how much Warrington has changed for the worse.

Other facts of interest about Warrington that is was well known for ship building, glass making eg. Robinsons as well as the Wire trade, but you regular posters already knew that

What this forum needs is a local history spot by Janice Hayes of Warrington Museum fame?

stunning photos,