Legalization of drugs

Milky

We seem to be heading towards the legalization of drugs especially cannabis, apparently cannabis is totally harmless and will make billions in tax.

Watching BBC ten o'clock news yesterday and the BBC seems to have joined the campaign. Mark Eastern is coming out with lines like the only way to protect children from criminals is to legalize the trade  and yesterday his campaign was against the government stance saying all the experts are recommending legalization, shelters where drugs can be taken and so on, which is rubbish, some are saying that.

The BBC is fast becoming a propaganda machine 

It seems odd that we seem to be heading the other way in legal things, alcohol, smoking, sugar, take away food

The government would probably like to legalise cannabis so as to tax it and replace the revenue they are losing by putting people off tobacco and alcohol. Never make the mistake of thinking they are looking after our best interests.

Drink problem me? I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem 😂😂.

Encouraging people to use drugs seems a strange way to combat crime!  Alcohol and tobacco are considered problems, why add another?  

The reason that the cannabis lobby has so much traction is that most of the politicians, police, civil servants etc have all used it and still do, it has nothing to do with improving quality of life, it just means that they will no longer have to use a secret dealer.

Several prominent users have admitted that a regular cannabis user can never operate at more than 40'% efficiency due to perpetual lethargy.

• Upvote 1

I've never used any illegal drugs and have never seen the attraction. The industry I worked in (Merchant Navy) recognised the dangers inherent in the use of drugs (including, and in most cases especially, alcohol, but also illegal drugs like cannabis) and actively discouraged their use. In the case of alcohol if it wasn't banned on board drinking was severely restricted to the extent I personally would have rather had a cup of tea or two. Regular blood or urine tests found drug users and heavy drinkers out very easily. When it comes to what is becoming a social norm in some circles of drug use, well the Liberal attitude is anything goes provided that it does no harm to anyone else. I'm happy with that, the problem being that someone who is high on drugs doesn't think, or even realise, that they are doing any harm. Does smoking tobacco products bring about this sort of recklessness? I don't think so. Drinking alcohol does to some extent but, as I said in my other post, I drink, I get drunk, I fall down. No problem. So where are we? A hundred or so years ago people were taking drugs in private, writing rubbish novels and poetry etc and harming nobody. Then government stuck their size 13s in and banned the drugs, making them attractive to people who didn't like government banning things, thus creating a vicious circle. If it seems like I'm rambling, I might have had one tot of rum too many. Goodnight. Hic. 🥴🥴

9 hours ago, Davy51 said:

I think another way of looking at softening attitudes towards drugs is that decriminalisation will eventually lead to the end of criminal gang involvement. How much crime is drug related ?

I replied once to this, not sure if I clicked the wrong button but the reply is not here, so again...

I find it very hard to believe that the criminals that are involved in supply of drugs will just give up and get normal jobs, although some may I guess.

Although I believe that the current problem with drugs and crime (including stabbings) is the cuts to the boarder force and police. Department dealing with the supply of drugs were disbanded, criminals not prosecuted and so crime went down making some politicians very happy. Drugs became easier to obtain and these involved were less likely to get caught so these involved with other types of crime moved into the trade and so wars between dealers broke out.

Thank you in advance  Latchford locks for any reminders of aging!

I'm with you Asp, people laugh when I tell them that I'm 80 yrs old and I've never even smelled marijuana !  If you stood next to me smoking I'd probably think it was dirty socks or something!

No kidding Asp, Bec and I are doing our favorite thing right now - watching black and white movies on the classic movie channel .  "Action in the North Atlantic" with Raymond Massey and Humphrey Bogart ( Merchant Marine) fighting U Boats on the Murmansk run - I thought I saw you in the last scene.  Good movie.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2019 at 2:29 PM, Davy51 said:

I think another way of looking at softening attitudes towards drugs is that decriminalisation will eventually lead to the end of criminal gang involvement. How much crime is drug related ?

23 hours ago, Observer II said:

There are already dangerous drugs in circulation IE: alcohol and tobacco;   which make that much money in tax, HMG won't ban them; so if they add a few more, they're just being consistent !

Of course, i forgot the massive windfall of tax that would jingle in the chancellor's pockets.

Even if they legalise cannabis; there's a range of drugs that would have to be considered, most of which are a danger to life and certainly ruin lives, so I'm not sure HMG would ever go that far in legalisation; which means the existing criminality surrounding drugs, would continue -  so no change.   Perhaps in the case of coke, any youngster using it, could be banned from public office - which could keep some hypocrits out of Parliament !     😉