Warrington named the worst place in Britain for culture

Dizzy

Now that stings. Did you want the Latin plural? As I've made a goodly sum over the years from published articles (Guardian, Times, Times Ed, Independent, church press....).- and got Grade 1 English Language O-level - I'm quite happy with my literary skills. Oh, and that's not how you spell pretensions.

Well If I were you, in writing articles for intended publication, I'd refrain from using words you neither understand the use or meaning of as a literary device or in formal logic.

You've got Grade 1 English Language O-level !  WOW!!!!   is that meant to impress? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Though by that level you should have at least learned the difference between literary and literacy!

If you're still confused - see me.   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   

Did you not know I lived in Stoke before coming to Warrington? 

It's nice for the Middleport Pottery, but not for what's left of Trentham Hall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trentham_Estate#/media/File:Trentham_Gardens_2015_26.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2286587/Trentham-Hall-Final-remains-historic-hall-face-ruin-35m-restoration-price-tag.html

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/historic-Stoke-Trent-building-8216-risk-8217/story-24534392-detail/story.html

From the Historic England website I think Warrington has only 3 listed buildings "at risk" (plus Winwick church which is probably not at risk now having had nearly £2m spent on it). One is a barn in Culcheth, one's the transporter bridge, and one is the Drill Hall at the town hall - I'll find out what that needs doing - plus some unlisted buildings within conservation areas (Garnett works for one). The idea that Stoke is better than Warrington at saving its heritage would go down a riot in the Potteries.

And did you not know that I am from the Potteries and still have family and friends there so know full well what people think. I think 'at risk' should include any building or site in Warrington that Andy Farrell and developers have any involvement with. I think while people may have lots of the usual gripes in Stoke and Newcastle, they would be horrified if the local councils started behaving like WBC. Especially if these at risk buildings suddenly started falling over when nobody was doing anything or anywhere them.

But surely you accept that Middleport and other buildings confirm that it is perfectly possible to do imaginative and culturally appropriate things with historic buildings?

And you still have a question to answer. If there was no cover up of the destruction of planning records, then everybody at the council would have known about it between 2007 and 2011. And residents should have been able to find out. Is that correct?  

Well If I were you, in writing articles for intended publication, I'd refrain from using words you neither understand the use or meaning of as a literary device or in formal logic.

You've got Grade 1 English Language O-level !  WOW!!!!   is that meant to impress? :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Though by that level you should have at least learned the difference between literary and literacy!

It was CSEs that were graded by numbers. O-Levels were graded by letter. It was accepted that a Grade 1 CSE was equivalent to a C Grade O Level but I don't think anybody believed it.  

Well, it impressed Mr Potterton my teacher.  I was a bit confused; I presume you mean one can be literate without being able to write well, though some might think that pedantic. If that's not what you meant, you've obviously failed the first test of literary skill, clarity of meaning.

Grey_man, O-levels were graded by numbers for some exam boards. I suppose "cover-up" has various grades too - if the person who makes the "mistake" doesn't tell anyone else, is that a cover-up? Is there even a "cover-up" until someone says, "Where are those planning records?" - if the culprits said "we don't know", that would be a cover-up. If someone senior then became complicit, that might be a cover-up.

Dizzy - I've had a couple of issues where I wanted to know conditions attached to consents because of current on-street parking issues, so the problems do carry on.

PJ - I don't know what this "struggle" is. I'm just defending the Council against the idea that councillors and officers don't care about heritage - or that it's easy to find an alternative use for every decrepit building (or that lottery funding for restoration is easy to get), or that Warrington has more than its fair share of fires in derelict buildings. I might have more "affinity" with the Burnage Odeon than the Warrington Odeon, but I'm not sure either was important enough to save if no viable alternative use emerged. I'm sure Trafford Council would love to find a use for the (listed) Essoldo cinema in Stretford but it's been empty 20 years. Or Manchester CC for the old fire station... - finally wrested out of the dead hand of Britannia Hotels (who, with the help of the law, resisted the Council's attempts at a CPO). Every town has its tales, good and bad, and Warrington's record with heritage is not that bad.

Grey_man, O-levels were graded by numbers for some exam boards. I suppose "cover-up" has various grades too - if the person who makes the "mistake" doesn't tell anyone else, is that a cover-up? Is there even a "cover-up" until someone says, "Where are those planning records?" - if the culprits said "we don't know", that would be a cover-up. If someone senior then became complicit, that might be a cover-up.

I see. Have you ever tried actually answering the original question for 'clarity of meaning, the first test of literary skill'.

I see from the other place that the council has its solution to preserving the town's heritage. It is to carry on knocking it all down and replacing it with flats and more pound shops and chain restaurants on retail parks, but spending money on new displays in the museum to tell people what it was like before it was sold off to Morris Homes and Nando's. So that would be about right.  

I see from the other place that the council has its solution to preserving the town's heritage. It is to carry on knocking it all down and replacing it with flats and more pound shops and chain restaurants on retail parks, but spending money on new displays in the museum to tell people what it was like before it was sold off to Morris Homes and Nando's. So that would be about right.  

You didn't have to looka t the other place - we had it on at the same time :wink:

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/11/26/bold-plan-for-45-million-heritage-hub/

Although I think your comments are a little harsh. Can't knock a £4-5 m investment in helping improve our culture :wink:

Hey! what's going on? Has some kill joy removed that brilliantly funny post? I haven't had such a good laugh in ages!   Are we not allowed a bit of fun now and again? Flipping heck!  it's doom and gloom and brewing war on the other threads. Where's your sense of humour? 

I find it incredulous that this is going to happen in Warrington's so-called Cultural Quarter, when there is an Historic Organ around the corner from this building which is going begging for funding.

Is it me, or have the inmates taken over the asylum ?

http://www.warrington-worldwide.co.uk/2015/11/26/bold-plan-for-45-million-heritage-hub/

They haven't got the funding yet, - and if what they are planning to spend it on is the destruction of the inside of the old library and slapping a glass /metal monstrosity on the outside of that beautiful building, I hope they don't get it!

There are probably better, true heritage projects that the money could be used for. The Cavaille -Coll  should have been included in any heritage bid.         Yes, Hill Cliffe walker, I agree, priorities are not in the right order in this town.

If it's a venue for 'community activities' they want - what's the Parr Hall for?  Or is that next on the list for destruction?

I won't be losing sleep over these plans though! - Sara Hilton head of the Heritage Lottery is very much aware of the obligation for community consultation and  involvement in heritage funded projects. Once the people of Warrington see the conversion/destruction plans for the old library the bid will be in the bin!     

Hey! what's going on? Has some kill joy removed that brilliantly funny post? I haven't had such a good laugh in ages!   Are we not allowed a bit of fun now and again? Flipping heck!  it's doom and gloom and brewing war on the other threads. Where's your sense of humour? 

I've not removed anything Sha and having just scrolled back through the posts the same ones are still showing that were there when I looked and commented last night (well early hours of this morning to be more precise).

Was it from before then as I noticed last night you seemed to have gone into fits of giggles over something which I thought was a little odd and I didn't get what you were laughing so much about.  I just presumed you were having one of your giddy moments :lol:   Maybe the person who posted it edited and removed it themselves for some reason but anyway what was so funny....I feel like I'm missing out now and I need to know cos I love a good laugh  :lol:

I find it incredulous that this is going to happen in Warrington's so-called Cultural Quarter, when there is an Historic Organ around the corner from this building which is going begging for funding.

Is it me, or have the inmates taken over the asylum ?

It's you. The new space for the museum and the relocation of the library will benefit and reach far more Warringtonians than the organ , which as you constantly prove, is not really of much interest to anyone. You seem to be rather obsessed to be honest.

This is all good as they have to be able to justify themselves to get out of the bottom of the pile... I am sure we could make the C-C the focus of so much activity if only we were allowed to....

Isnt it Proverbs which tell us.... "Where there is no vision..... the people perish".... and there is certainly a paucity of it in "Varrington"!!.... There is a marvellous children's memorial to Peter Pan in Sefton Park which says "the moment you begin to doubt you can fly, you cease, forever, to be able to do it".... they need to realise this before it is too late.....

I still wonder whether the organ's fate is sealed with these losers.... and we who are concerned about it should try to get the Heritage Lottery to transplant it somewhere IN THE AREA who would appreciate it (with a nice acoustic and the will to make it a centre for concerts and teaching)....as we are clearly flogging a dead donkey with them.

I think you've missed the funniest thing that's been posted on this forum! It was brilliant! I couldn't stop laughing! I was much disappointed this morning to see it had disappeared!

I removed something because I thought it was taking the wotsit a bit unnecessarily. Was it that? Whatever knots Steve Parish ties himself up in trying to defend the indefensible, at least he's prepared to stand up for himself. 

You didn't have to looka t the other place - we had it on at the same time :wink:

Although I think your comments are a little harsh. Can't knock a £4-5 m investment in helping improve our culture :wink:

Sorry Gary. I should have checked.... it was just that I noticed it first in the neighbour's yard.

I don't think it's an investment in culture. I think it's an investment in a memorial for it. They are clearly rattled by that RSA report and now are trying to paper over the cracks with this display. Meanwhile the moves to bulldoze Warrington's actual heritage and replace it with non-culture carries on. 

I removed something because I thought it was taking the wotsit a bit unnecessarily. Was it that? Whatever knots Steve Parish ties himself up in trying to defend the indefensible, at least he's prepared to stand up for himself. 

Yes grey-man it was the text you removed,   :lol:

I haven't laughed so much in ages!   it was just so funny!   I couldn't stop laughing!   when I looked in on the forum this morning - I was well disappointed to see it gone!  but at least I got to see it in the first place!   :lol:   :lol:  :lol:  so thanks for posting it - even if just briefly - it made my day!  

Re the Warrington Memorial project, £4.5 million is an awful lot of money, which could do a lot of good somewhere. Like some renovation on the beautiful Victorian buildings in Bridge St. 

The article printed today gives the impression almost that the funding is 'in the bag'. But surely, as it's supposed to be for the Heritage of the people of Warrington then the people of Warrington will be given the opportunity to decide whether they want it or not? Or rather what they want it to be for! 

I'd put bets on a renovation of Bridge Street being a more popular 'peoples choice'. And, although a Cavaille Coll recital might not be everyone's cup of tea I think most people recognise it's international heritage value. What could be done with that asset in the right hands could put Warrington on the map. 

There's the Tower, the cabinet works and that lovely school room, now wouldn't they be nice with a bit of money spent on them? I also like Our Lady's Church, I think that's a beautiful building being neglected and then there's perhaps my favourite, the Art College, I love that building for many reasons.

Maybe we should compile a list between us to tell them what we want instead of the Memorial Project?  

Anyone know when the public consultation starts?

Shame I missed it but you clearly had your reasons for deleting whatever it was regardless of it's humour.  Did you keep a copy that you could send me via a pm as it must have been very funny to make Sha laugh :wink:  :lol:  (just kidding Sha) 

You are right in what you say about Steve too as at least he has the guts to come one here and actually post which is a lot more than can be said for the other representatives of our town.  I don't know how they manage to stay so quiet as I'm sure a lot of them read the forum and must itch to put the record straight at times and/or give their views.  Maybe they aren't allowed too though or are wimps :wink: 

If this is multiple choice, like Steve had for his CSE English exam, I'll go for b - wimps.

I can't remember what I wrote to be honest. I'd just got in, had had a couple and then thought better of it a bit later on. I know Steve is talking a load of rubbish on this subject, but he's just trying to hold up the reputation of the council. Like most politicians however, rather than change culture and behaviour, they just try to change perceptions of them. I think they work on the basis that people are all a bit dense and won't know the difference between something actually happening and somebody saying it's happening while something else happens. The best example is obviously the council's accountable, open and transparent culture. 

It strikes me that this is exactly what is going on with this bid for funding for a museum display. It's not about protecting or developing culture and heritage, it's about making it look as if they give a toss while they carry on their mission to make the town itself as bland as possible. They could spend 5 million towards something imaginative, but why bother when you can buy some digital installations that will be obsolete in a couple of years and drag some poor sod from the RSA around a museum dedicated to the things you've spent years tearing down before you all go out for a burger, curly fries and pre-mixed cocktail at Frankie & Benny's.