Are films undermining history?

observer

Poetic license appears to be the order of the day in most movies these days. But is Hollywood re-writing history and giving folk a totally distorted view of the past? Take Braveheart as an example: I don't believe there is any evidence of a romance between William Wallace and the wife of Edward I? :roll:

And the american version of the nigma capture, the patriot with Mel gibson in and numerous re-writes, then I wholly agree.

However to combat it, I go into a cinema with one thing....an open mind and one that takes what he sees as entertainment. if I want facts I dont go to the cinema. (not even for Al Gore!! :D:D )

it has been a facet of nearly all films ever made that the hero/heroine has to have a love interest so that it will appeal to the female audience.

this is regardless of how implausible it may seem. (king kong springs to mind).

at the end of the day they are made to make money.

evil sid part time poet( with poetic license to prove it) :roll:

Sid you are correct - films are entertainment not real - at all! So tell your children this when they go to see them or for God's sake open a history book or two.

We allow the media to control everything in our lives - and guess what , they will as long as they get the money from us. If you want to talk about dumbing down society - maybe we should look at what the people want - to be controlled by media?? Sometimes it looks that way to me - then they can blame someone else for their mistakes :roll:

People will believe in years to come exactly what was said in a film when the dialogue will have been dramtised to make a watchable film and no one can possibly know what if anything was really said. It'll become fact. Funny, I was jsut thinking that the other day, some channle was advertising the series or film Rome and I thought about it then, OK we know that basics but years on its like chinese whispers and how on earth do we know what people said?

[ 27.04.2007, 13:26: Message edited by: Tilly ]

Originally posted by observer:

Poetic license appears to be the order of the day in most movies these days. But is Hollywood re-writing history and giving folk a totally distorted view of the past? Take Braveheart as an example: I don't believe there is any evidence of a romance between William Wallace and the wife of Edward I? :roll:

It was actually a 'supposed' affair between Isabella of France (future wife of Edward II)and Wallace, she was only 10 years old when Wallace was executed, she would NEVER ever have even set eyes on Wallace ! :roll: what a lot of c*** !! Obs .... pleeeeeeeeease don't get me started about Braveheart :x biggest load of tripe ever made :x

[ 28.04.2007, 21:40: Message edited by: tonymailman ]

Well look at what they did with the history of the Titanic sinking? Turned it into a love story?? Or recently with the 300 - it is basically correct with a lot of flourishes and added swashbuckler that really is not needed but then again that is what sells films - sex and blood!