NHS Rip Off.

Peter T

I have to take a 75mg Dispersible Aspirin every day. And sometimes I get the timing wrong on re-ordering(repeat). So I went to the chemist to see if I could buy over the counter. I walked out with 100 and the cost was £1. Now the prescription costs £6.75 (I think) and for that you get 28.

Someone somewhere is making a lot of profit.

The other point I am making is that if you pay for your meds ask if there is a cheaper version.

Our docs usually tell us to just go an buy over the counter. When my son had glandular fever the only thing they could 'prescribe' was a combination of paracetamol and ibuprofen and the doc actually told us to go to Aldi as they were only 19p a packet.

Same with hayfever medication.. far cheaper to buy in the supermarkets and we always buy the really cheap brands rather then the TV advertised ones as there is EXACTLY the same combination of ingredients in them :wink:

Peter , if you take more than 5 or 6 different types of medication per day you would be better off with a prepayment certificate which you can order on line.

No I only take 3 and I get those free being over a certain age. My wife does have one though thank goodness. I would need to take a loan out otherwise. Thanks for the info anyway.

I was just highlighting the difference in cost for those who were unaware. :wink:

Certain groups are exempt (eg over 60s); however, it raises questions about the principle of a payment. IE. If pills are easy come by, are they treated with adequate respect? Anti-biotics for example used to be dished out like dolly mixtures, when they are useless for colds and flu; and folk often don't take the full course, leading to resistant strains of bacteria. Also, I recall an old folks home, where tablets were exchanged willy nilly. So perhaps a charge for one off/first time prescriptions; and then free for repeats, that folk may be depending on long term? :unsure:

No I only take 3 and I get those free being over a certain age. My wife does have one though thank goodness. I would need to take a loan out otherwise. Thanks for the info anyway.

I was just highlighting the difference in cost for those who were unaware. :wink:

I too am now "lucky" enough to be of a certain age,but i had a prepayment card for years & it saved me a fortune...mind you ,i would have preferred my health.