Don't Forget Lancashire!

BillBlunt

Can't say that I ever liked tripe no matter how it was prepared. do seem to remember though that nearly all the fish and chip emporiums in the area used to sell it. Not sure which of the three varieties it was though if memory serves (which it usually doesn't) it had a honeycomb pattern so would have been from the second stomach.

Just remembered this bit of tripe from one of my dafter postings in reply to a picture posted on here.

TRIPE STAMPERS AND PICKLERS GUILD

The guild was set up in 1807 and 5/8ths by Jebediah Arkwright after the tripe wars of 1805 threatened the production of tripe in the northern areas. the wars were brought about by stiff opposition to the tripe trade by the jellied eel barons in the south, which led to serious fighting around the various regions. seeing that no end was in sight Arkwright proposed a truce between the two sides which gave equal recognition to both the eel workers and tripe stampers. this truce was agreed in 1806 and the guild was formed a year later. Later additions to the guild were the black pudding wranglers and the pickled herring herders.

Tripe stamping is a precise art and carried out by skilled workers. the untreated tripe is spread on specially reinforced boards and stretched to even out any ripples. the workers then don specially designed boots that interlock at every step so that the distinctive diamond pattern can be accurately imprinted into the untreated tripe. they then proceed in pairs down the length of the tripe until it has been reduced in thickness by about a half. once this stamping has been done the tripe is then sent to the vinegar sheds where it is washed several times in vinegar to removes any contaminants and instilling the distinctive taste. from there it proceeds to the cutting room where it sliced into three foot squares ready for boxing and transportation to the various establishments.

an experienced tripe stamper can usually stamp about four miles of tripe an hour.

• Upvote 1

Can't say that I ever liked tripe no matter how it was prepared. do seem to remember though that nearly all the fish and chip emporiums in the area used to sell it. Not sure which of the three varieties it was though if memory serves (which it usually doesn't) it had a honeycomb pattern so would have been from the second stomach.

Just remembered this bit of tripe from one of my dafter postings in reply to a picture posted on here.

TRIPE STAMPERS AND PICKLERS GUILD

Sid, that is my kind of history! :D

Out of curiousity, I just googled Bill Tidy (before you all ask, yes, I believe he did enjoy it). He's not half looking good for a 79 year old! But, no joke, when I tried to open billtidy.com I got a warning that opening the site could damage my pc and advised returning to google and trying another site intead. :blink::huh:

you must be using firefox, noticed that certain site have been showing up as attack sites since they updated firefox. Some of the site I have been using for years and now they come up with this red warning page.

You could always uncheck the block reported attack site box Unless you are worried that it may compromise your pc.

I keep little or no personal information on my pc so if it does get attacked the only thing they will get is the latest results of Alford Hall 'C' team Monday night Bowling Matches. and that is available through the wnbca website anyway, provided that I put our home results in.

As for Bill Tidy always enjoyed him when he was on TV. A few well chosen strokes of the pen and then a brief explanation that had you chuckling for hours.

No to firefox. I don't have it. It's google warning, or at least it has google at the top.

Anyone can attack mine too but they wont find anything useful on it.

Just the inconvenience of getting them off it. :lol:

All personal and private and business material is on my husband's pc and he has that much security on his that it's like trying to get into Fort Knox! :lol::lol::lol:

I was well into the fosdyke saga as a lad. may have a troll round the interweb and see what I can dredge up about it. must be something knocking around on the fosdykes. :D

I remember visiting a friend to London a long time ago and seeing a theatre version of the Fosdyke Saga - very funny it was, too - it was in a staged area in a pub near Shepherd's Bush. The main thing I recall after all this time was the finale with all the cast running around the audience and hurling pieces of tripe at each other. I don't normally like to see food wasted but it was humorous (and the southern members of the audience had no idea what the stuff was).