A Peaceful Interlude.

algy

Wandering along the towpath the other day and just for a few moments I couldn't hear any traffic, people or noise other than the birds singing so I took this shot that for me anyway gives an impression of peace and tranquility, also another bonus, there was no litter about. (or dog doo! - Edited that for Dizz).

Grappenhall.jpg

Lovely photo Algy. Everythings so green and lush at the moment with all the rain and sun we keep getting too.

I hope you checked your shoes when you got home though :wink:

(Post edited 'cos Algy edited his so mine's now irrelevant and confusing so please ignore :lol: )

Beautiful photograph Algy. :D

Looks like a nice place to take some jam butties and have a picnic. :wink:

It's only a couple of hundred yards from where I live Cleo, plus if you sat down you'd probably have your legs chopped off by the angry cycling brigade, put em' on bikes and they adopt an aggressive attitude for some strange reason!. :unsure:

Great picture algy, I am not trying to pry into where you live, but is possible could you tell me where it was taken. It really does look a nice place for a walk :D

Not a problem Lt, it's the Bridgewater canal by Bell House Lane at Grappenhall.

Walk 1.

There's a nice short walk if you park in Cliff Lane just off the A50 at Grappenhall and take the opening on the left hand side of the under bridge and up the path onto the canal bank then turn right and walk along the tow path (under the A50 road bridge) and on to the next canal bridge, just before the bridge climb up the stone steps by the side of a white house (used to be the old shop that the boat people bought supplies from)then walk over the bridge along the cobbled street into Grappenhall village where there are two pubs, the first is the Parr Arms and the second The Ram's Head, good ale in both pubs and they also serve food. The village church is St. Wilfrid's with the earliest part of the building being 12th century, I think it's open between 1400 and 1600hrs on sat and Sun May through to October. This walk will probably take 45 mins to 1hour, add extra time if you stop and eat or look around the church.

Walk 2.

An alternative longer walk is by turning left instead of right when you have climbed up the path from Cliff Lane, and walk east along the tow path toward Lymm, plenty of open fields and trees along this stretch, walk along and under the first over bridge (Pickering bridge), when you reach the second bridge, which is an under bridge (the canal goes over the road) go down the stone steps and turn right when you meet the foot path in Half Acre lane, after a few yards you meet Stockport Road, cross this road and walk down Bell lane at the junction with Lymm Rd walk straight on you are still in Bell lane, on your left is an open park then you will see the Little Manor in Old Thelwall which was built in 1642 for a General (Percival?)in Oliver Cromwell’s army. At that time it was called Thelwall Cottage, but it has obviously been extended and enlarged many times since, in my opinion a nice place but none of it's originality remains, it has changed hands recently and I believe you can have a nice meal there, no idea regarding prices. Walking on you will reach the Pickering Arms in Thelwall village another 17th century building which has retained some of it's character. The village is a bit more sprawling than Grappenhall although some fine old houses still remain one in paricular is in Ferry lane opposite the pub and if you walk down this lane you will come to the 'Penny Ferry' by the ship canal. This walk will probably take approx. 2hrs but add extra if you stop and eat.

Walk 1.

ScreenShot002.jpg

Walk 2.

ScreenShot001.jpg

Went to the Ram's Head last night for a meal. Haven't been there for a (long)while. Absolutely amazed at the "new design" and increased size of the place. Superb. Will definitely be going back sometime soon.

Nice to hear you enjoyed your meal Peter, I haven't been in since they have altered the pub, strange really as it's literally on our door step, we tend to use the 'Goshawk' at Mouldsworth, I suppose it gives us a change of scenery as well. :unsure:

The licensee was and perhaps still is Grappenhall Guy who came on here when we used to hold the quiz on the 'Old Warrington Photos'.