Interview with Shaun Reid

Just found this interview.

http://www.footballeditorial.com/2012/07/big-interview-reid-eyes-warrington-town-title/

“I expect us to be fighting for the title,” says the ambitious 46 year-old former Swindon Town and Plymouth Argyle coach.

"Kev Townson is the kind of player who should be delivering 20-30 goals a season for us at this level, in my view he’s should still be playing at a professional level.”

Other new faces are expected to join before pre-season with Reid looking to recruit up to up to six more new names before he finalises his squad for 2012/13.

“I’m hoping to sign a couple of centre halves this week that might shock a few people!” he says with relish.

Reid also confirmed that talks are also planned with Stoke City with a view to coming to an arrangement that will see players from the Potteries side’s youth team being loaned to Wire.

“I aim to settle on a squad of 18 with four places open for loan players,” explained Reid. “I’m confident we can agree a deal with Stoke that will benefit both clubs.”

Kevin Townson and a few Stoke youth players, all sounds pretty exciting :D

“I expect Skelmersdale will be strong again, Garforth and Farsely too, but there are plenty of good sides in this league.

Can't say I agree with this though. Curzon and Radcliffe are both a lot more likely to challenge than Garforth or Farsley.

Just found this interview.

http://www.footballeditorial.com/2012/07/big-interview-reid-eyes-warrington-town-title/

Kevin Townson and a few Stoke youth players, all sounds pretty exciting :D

Can't say I agree with this though. Curzon and Radcliffe are both a lot more likely to challenge than Garforth or Farsley.

I'll have you a £1 a point on Farsley vs Radcliffe on who finishes higher.

Farsley were playoffs last year and will be again this year.

Radcliffe have signed Chris McDonagh from Curzon, one of the top strikers last season, as well as quite a few other decent players for a start. They have been spending money, and have started good attempts to boost attendances.

They also have some of the best fans in the league behind them, probably only rivalled by ourselves & Mossley ...or the bloke with the Bugle at Prescot Cables :wink:

Curzon will also be up there, but they don't have a good replacement for McDonagh yet. They've replaced him with a couple of players who've played there previously, but are past it according to quite a few people. They did have a great season last season and I am expecting more of the same, especially if McDonagh is replaced.

Skelmersdale will also be up there, got quite a few of our stand-out players from the last couple of seasons playing for them (Hickey*, Corrigan, Hardwick), as well as a strong squad along side them.

*Admittedly, Hickey hasn't been scoring for them so I wouldn't be that worried

We will be up there. Townson is one of the best strikers in this division, and from what I've heard about us signing players from the likes of Barrow I am confident our squad for next season will be up there.

Farsley and Garforth will be on the borderlines, so will New Mills and Mossley.

Will always be a few dark horses and surprise flops too.

I'm personally thinking that Curzon, Us and Boro will be the 3 main teams challenging at the top, with the likes of New Mills, Skem, Farsley and Garforth just behind us.

Have faith Adrian. Given that most jumped ship, (obviously no loyalty to the club), virtually a whole new squad has had to be found. I am convinced that the team will be better than any we have seen previously over the last few years and that the players will be more experienced and "want" success for the club. In the past, too many have just turned up and collected the money for mediocre performances.

Roll on Monday night. :) :smile: :)

• Upvote 1

Also sounds like we are planning on keeping the same squad for longer than 2 weeks, which is also a pretty good sign :wink:

So if he plans to use Stoke's youth setup to feed players into the first team, what hope for our own youth team? :?

4 places for loaned in players, so I don't think it means that much to our current youth set-up.

Are our youth team playing theirs at any point? Would be a very good way of convincing people we are on the rise if we win.

Radcliffe have signed Chris McDonagh from Curzon, one of the top strikers last season, as well as quite a few other decent players for a start. They have been spending money, and have started good attempts to boost attendances.

They also have some of the best fans in the league behind them, probably only rivalled by ourselves & Mossley ...or the bloke with the Bugle at Prescot Cables :wink:

Curzon will also be up there, but they don't have a good replacement for McDonagh yet. They've replaced him with a couple of players who've played there previously, but are past it according to quite a few people. They did have a great season last season and I am expecting more of the same, especially if McDonagh is replaced.

Skelmersdale will also be up there, got quite a few of our stand-out players from the last couple of seasons playing for them (Hickey*, Corrigan, Hardwick), as well as a strong squad along side them.

*Admittedly, Hickey hasn't been scoring for them so I wouldn't be that worried

We will be up there. Townson is one of the best strikers in this division, and from what I've heard about us signing players from the likes of Barrow I am confident our squad for next season will be up there.

Farsley and Garforth will be on the borderlines, so will New Mills and Mossley.

Will always be a few dark horses and surprise flops too.

I'm personally thinking that Curzon, Us and Boro will be the 3 main teams challenging at the top, with the likes of New Mills, Skem, Farsley and Garforth just behind us.

Is that a no then?

Surely if our youth players are good enough they will play for the first team. no point playing youngsters who are not up to it.

So, the effect of playing Stoke's academy players is what?

1) they are good enough to succeed with Stoke, they give a short term boost to the squad - hopefully helping with promotion, and after the year they disappear and are never seen again leaving the squad weaker next year.

OR

2) they fail to make the grade with Stoke, so "perhaps" they may consider coming to play for warrington - although there are plenty of leagues and clubs between the premiership and us; so how likely is that?

Meanwhile we have a set of lads who WANT to play for Warrington several of whom have several years of experience of academy football who MAY not get the chance to be seen and tested with the first team.

What message does it send to the youth team, if they are "passed over" for Stoke academy players whenever there is a "space" available in the team?

• Upvote 1

Reid also confirmed that talks are also planned with Stoke City with a view to coming to an arrangement that will see players from the Potteries side’s youth team being loaned to Wire.

4 places for loaned in players, so I don't think it means that much to our current youth set-up.

Other than perhaps demotivating them?

Other than perhaps demotivating them?

Competition for places and bringing in young profesional talent should help motivate our younger players - as it is a two way thing - Stoke will be watching how their players are performing within our team - so any of our players who show talent will be on the radar of a premier league club!

What better motivation could you want for a young footballer?

• Upvote 1

Competition for places and bringing in young profesional talent should help motivate our younger players - as it is a two way thing - Stoke will be watching how their players are performing within our team - so any of our players who show talent will be on the radar of a premier league club!

What better motivation could you want for a young footballer?

spot on.

I just hope this isn't a sign that we'll end up playing like Stoke! Wouldn't mind Crouch and Kenwyne Jones up front mind...

Last time i checked SCFC website, I couldnt even find our fixture!

I would say if they dont get in the Stoke first team, they might actually NOT be of the usual Stoke type hence they arent picked! Alternatively they could just be Crouch's in training :P

• Upvote 1