Busking For Cancer

RingoDave

The next "Busking For Cancer" event in Warrington has been fixed up now.

Thanks to all who helped ensure that this happened without the proposed license fee.

Busking at The Skittles on 30th June from 10am

I am hoping to be there to contribute but, due to my strange shift patterns, I can't be sure until nearer the day. If you are in town that day, please listen and or contribute...or even join in!

8):cool:8):cool:

The next "Busking For Cancer" event in Warrington has been fixed up now.

Thanks to all who helped ensure that this happened without the proposed license fee.

Busking at The Skittles on 30th June from 10am

I am hoping to be there to contribute but, due to my strange shift patterns, I can't be sure until nearer the day. If you are in town that day, please listen and or contribute...or even join in!

8):cool:8):cool:

Good Luck! with the event Dave, if we're in town we shall definitely pop round. 8) :cool:

Good luck Dave and I hope you and all the other buskers have a lot of fun and just as importantly that you raise a lot of much needed money for such a good cause.

How on earth will you yourself will play your guitar and busk inbetween two 11 hour night shifts is beyone me though. I hope you aren't planning on miming and lip syncing :shock::wink::lol:

I'm definately planning on going for a listen and to support you all but can you do me a favour :oops:

Will you post on here to remind me the night before as I'm a bugger for forgetting things as I don't go into Warrington town centre very often these days. Cheers :D

I'll certainly try to remember to remind you, Dizzy! It all depends on which location I'm in the night before - whether it had WiFi or not.

In answer to your question, I don't know how I'm going to manage yet; we'll just have to try it and see.

:wink:

• 1 month later...

A reminder to all. This is getting close - just over twelve hours to go and I'm off to wrk now for an eleven hour shift! Hoping to get there by noon and stay for a few hours with the guys! If I can't manage a yellow rose (of texas?), I'm still easy to spot . Look for an abundance of grey hair and grey beard with a twelve-string held up by a leather and shisha strap! icon_mrgreen.gificon_razz.gif

A very, very wet day, but a lot of performers and plenty of people contributing. I didn't see any from here but, then again, it was hard to see anything through my glasses!

Hoping to upload some photos to show how it went and, when I am contacted by Bernard (regional organiser) I will let people know how much has been raised; Up to yesterday, the last 18 months in our area has raised £25 000 or more.

Sorry, I can't find how to upload these. Anyone wishing to see them can go to my Facebook page (Dave Knibb) and should be able to see them. I know I uploaded the album to Goggle, but can't remember the exact title and can't find them.

I feel like a real old codger now!icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Another try;

My link

Keeping fingers crossed.

Just to update During one of the rain-free periods we were confronted by three of the "Hi-vis vest" men. Apparently, we weren't allowed to play between 12.30 and 13.15 for some, not named, reason. This, needless to say, was when the majority of shoppers came by, many asking what we were doing and why we weren't playing all the instruments.

I'm afraid I became a little more "bolshie" than I usually am and told quite a number of people about the way we have been treated by various groups in the past. Hopefully, we will have managed to raise a decent amount for Cancer Research UK, despite hindrances.

Many people contributed in different ways - all the performers gave their time and skills for free, Cancer Research (through a sponsor) donated a lot of identifying t-shirts, a local cafe served us with tea and coffee (sorry, I don't know who), bucket collectors helped and many, many shoppers gave freely. Thanks to all.

Ringo re you not being able to play between 12.30 and 13.15.... I may be wrong, but I don't think I am, as there was an amazing duo called 'The Showhawk Duo', playing their guitars undercover in the old fishmarket at that time.

I'm 99.9% sure their board showed 12.30 as the time of their first stint. They did 3 appearances in all and I came out of the golden square just as they were starting their 3rd one (which finished at 3pm) and I sat there and watched the whole lot. They mentioned their busking and how they had been spotted on the street last year and were now part of the Edinburgh Festival so stupid me thought they were some of your buskers and due to the weather you/they had been moved under cover. :oops:

I suppose the stage signs which said 'warm up weekends' and 'live music every weekend'… not to mention the fact that no-one was collecting money and no mention of cancer research should have told my little brain cell that I was in the wrong place :oops:

As for you not seeing anyone off here... well suddenly realising my stupidity I did go the to skittles where I found you all and I specifically looked for a guitar strap with mirrors and studs and man wearing a yellow flower at 3pm but couldn't see either..... I even walked behind all the players to look at the back of their straps and I must have looked like a right weirdo. Were you still there then ? My brother has told me I have to stop taking my camera everywhere now as I am ‘odd’ and I will get slanty eyes

Well done to you all for surviving the weather on Saturday and raising so much money for a very worthwhile and needy cause. The players I saw raising money (and you if you were still there) were great.

Here’s the pics I took before I started to feel a bit like a stalker

BuskingforCanerWarrington30June2012pic4.jpg

BuskingforCanerWarrington30June2012pic3.jpg

BuskingforCanerWarrington30June2012pic2.jpg

BuskingforCanerWarrington30June2012pic1.jpg

(Such a shame those in charge didn’t offer to let you all use the undercover stage in the fishmarket when the duo weren't playing though considering you were raising money for charity and also considering the weather etc).

So once again WELL DONE TO YOU ALL !!!!

He was one of the collectors who stayed for the whole session - lovely man!

Really sorry I missed you, Dizzy. I left by about 14.30 as I was on shift at 21.30 and hadn't had any sleep. I did manage to wear a yellow rose (NOT of Texas!) even through all the downpours. One of my guitars is still lying in a warm room drying out!

On the day, despite awful weather and the "Hi-vis" brigade, we raised £630, with a little more to come collected from singers and musicians at the Sunday night session in the Ring O' Bells. Every penny goes to Cancer Research UK.