6. Stockton Heath Area.

algy

Stockton Heath Lake.

StocktonHeathLake.jpg

Looking down London Road towards the London Bridge, the Hill Cliffe Hydro was on the left out of picture.

StocktonHeathLondonRoadHillCliffe.jpg

London Road looking towards London Bridge the London Bridge Inn far centre right.

StocktonHeathLondonRoadlookingtowardsLondonBridgetheLondonBridgePubfarcentreright.jpg

London Road, the cycle shop is now a Fish & Chip shop, the old Fire Station would have been to the left.

StocktonHeathlookingtowardsLondonBridge.jpg

The Travellers rest stone on Grappenhall road by the old Lumb Brook Bridge.

StocktonHeathLumbBrook.jpg

Mill Pool Cottages in Mill Lane.

StocktonHeathMillPoolCottages.jpg

Stockton Mount in Sandy Lane.

StocktonheathMountSandyLane.jpg

Open air bathing in Stockton Heath lake.

StocktonHeathOpenAirBaths.jpg

"Having a wonderful time in Stockton Heath"

StocktonHeathPostcard2.jpg

The new Northwich Road (London Road) swing bridge in action.

StocktonHeathSwingBridgeopentoShipping.jpg

Great pictures. Thanks Algy.

Have you been playng with them, as the quality seems a lot better than ones I have seen before.

I'm gradually adjusting noise, sharpening, adjusting exposure etc. and repairing some blemishes where applicable Peter, I realise that from an aesthetic point of view it can reduce the originality of the image but it does improve the viewing quality for others to enjoy, there are some photographs that are past redemption however better a poor image than none at all. I do to resist the temptation of altering the content of the picture as then the photo becomes unrepresentative of the original image and in effect a complete distortion of the true picture, if you do that then the image becomes useless in portraying life as it was at that time. There are occasions where I have removed litter, that in my opinion is spoiling the picture, but that is very rare.

Nothing is ever past redemption Algy unless is is a scanned image of a photocopy of an old newspaper clipping :wink:

I wont bore you by saying yet again how good these pictures as you know my views and I don;t want to sound like a stuck record are but I will say that I have never seem the first one of Stockton Heath Lake with the boats on before.

What a cracking picture and a it's a shame the lake is not still there today. I guess the dogs and dog walkers are glad though as are probably the parents of the local kids who no doubt would try and replicate the images of the past.

I never did find out why, or when, the lake was filled in. One rumour was that a child had drowned in it, but my dad seems to remember my mum saying it was filled in just after the war and had something to do with the fact that so may people from around here lost their lives and never returned.

If any really old councillors are reading.... do you know why ?

Only 8 days until elections remember :lol:

I'm gradually adjusting noise, sharpening, adjusting exposure etc. and repairing some blemishes where applicable Peter, I realise that from an aesthetic point of view it can reduce the originality of the image but it does improve the viewing quality for others to enjoy, there are some photographs that are past redemption however better a poor image than none at all. I do to resist the temptation of altering the content of the picture as then the photo becomes unrepresentative of the original image and in effect a complete distortion of the true picture, if you do that then the image becomes useless in portraying life as it was at that time. There are occasions where I have removed litter, that in my opinion is spoiling the picture, but that is very rare.

You've done a good job on them alge! :D