Keep moving!

observer

Like you Asp, I have to have a medical to work, most companies do not require medicals, but it does depend where you work, having a heart attack while on watch in the dead of night on board ship would not be very good, likewise being in the control room of a nuclear power station in the dead of night and having a heart attack, would not be very good.

There may not be any nuclear power stations now that our German masters have pulled the plug..... and any that need manning can surely be manned by our cheaper Eastern European cousins from Poland can't they??? :D

As the recent case of the footballer (who had his health closely watched by his football club - more so than most people) having a heart attack during a match shows, anyone can succumb to such events without warning.

As for the watchkeeper having a heart attack on the bridge at night, he isn't on his own and there is also a "dead-man" alarm (set to sound the alarm if the watchkeeper doesn't respond at least every 12 minutes). I should hope that anyone left alone in charge of something like a nuclear reactor would have at least as much protection. :wink: :wink:

I once had a conversation with a surgeon in his clinic at what was BUPA at Stretton and he was deadly serious when he told me that the government of the day had an unofficial policy of genocide of the older population, and that was when labour was in and I'm sure this lot have continued with it. He reckoned that the medical profession were being encouraged to withhold costly or complex procedures that would extend life for those that were less than totally mobile or compos mentis. :angry:

I once had a conversation with a surgeon in his clinic at what was BUPA at Stretton and he was deadly serious when he told me that the government of the day had an unofficial policy of genocide of the older population, and that was when labour was in and I'm sure this lot have continued with it. He reckoned that the medical profession were being encouraged to withhold costly or complex procedures that would extend life for those that were less than totally mobile or compos mentis. :angry:

Hey!, but I managed to survive. :wink::D

Hmmm!, fancied a 'double'. :D

A brilliant last post asperity, I could not agree more. :wink::D

I'm glad we agree on something :D

There are ways and means of allowing a person's life to end naturally Obs. To kill someone by removing food and water as has happened is murder pure and simple. To allow people to die while allieviating pain should be the way to go.

I would like to die like my grandfather, sleeping peacefully (not screaming like the passengers in his car!) :shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm not advocating anything Asp; just predicting it. Many genetic disorders can be predicted through DNA testing and thus avoided through birth control. The obsesion with longevity is increasing the elderly demographic, and with it, an increase in dependency and health costs due to age specific illness such as dementia. This presents society with an ever increasing burden and ethical questions to resolve - unless we wish to pretend these kind of decisions arn't being made by the medical profession at the moment. :( :(