Walton Locks Sewer Pipes

Dizzy

Ha ha ..... rather than take the Black Bear topic off track here are some pics for your Walton Locks/Greenalls Ave sewer pipe collection Algy :unsure::lol:

FlippinEck! Dizz why didn't you post em' before, you could have saved me the trouble and petrol of going there, my pics are exactly the same as yours.

P1000812.jpg

P1000813.jpg

And this one of Walton old lock.

P1000808.jpg

Interesting pics,the pipes appear to made of metal probably water main rather than sewage pipes.

Aye! up Grap's I'd given you up for going AWOL, nice to see you back though. The pipes are cast iron and too large for water supply or surface water drainage given there location, probably Victorian not sure where they came from or go to, there's an exposed section about a hundred foot east running close to the canal edge, the fact that they run parallel to the canal I would say that they were installed at the time it was built.While I have been typing this I had an idea that I had a photo of that area with pipes ready for installing, FOUND IT, and here it is in 1890/91. Clk. on the photo to enlarge it.

StocktonHeathWilderspoolstartofthecanalexcavation5thMay18901.jpg

Aye! up Grap's I'd given you up for going AWOL, nice to see you back though. The pipes are cast iron and too large for water supply or surface water drainage given there location, probably Victorian not sure where they came from or go to, there's an exposed section about a hundred foot east running close to the canal edge, the fact that they run parallel to the canal I would say that they were installed at the time it was built.While I have been typing this I had an idea that I had a photo of that area with pipes ready for installing, FOUND IT, and here it is in 1890/91. Clk. on the photo to enlarge it.

StocktonHeathWilderspoolstartofthecanalexcavation5thMay18901.jpg

Spot on Algy, brilliant photo. Those are the pipes that run parallel to the MSC. They are quite old aren't they? The exposed pipes that can still be be seen run almost up to where the lock to the MSC was on the Black Bear canal, well, certainly to below where Morrison's car park is now. I wonder, could they have been anything to do with Greenalls brewery? The previous photos show where they are now digging them up from is where the old cement works was situated. Is it possibly any connection to that? It's odd that the pipes seem to travel from somewhere but stop on the outside wall of this canal basin.

FlippinEck! Dizz why didn't you post em' before, you could have saved me the trouble and petrol of going there, my pics are exactly the same as yours.

FlippinEck! Algy, how was I supposed to know that you'd be interested in a pile of old broken pipes Algy :lol:

My pics were taken on 16th January by the way. Not very quick at clearing up then if you got the same today eh :wink:

I must read again and appolgies if anyone has already said this... but could the pipes we see be surface water draininge pipes as there are a lot of those around here leading directly into the canal.

Algy, a bit of info after your wasted walk... at the Greenall Ave end of the site they are currently tapping into the old sewers according to my very local source... and the old water main leading into the site from Greenalls Ave is approx 6 inch in diameter and is currently visible.

They cut into it after it was 'turned off' and it caused a bit of a flood apparently and has had to be temporarily fixed until they can find it's actual turn of point.

One has to ask whether the old sewers network, drains and water supply can cope with even more houses around there once they are all tapped into though as I've been told today that the lovely little listed cottages have had problems in the past couple of years due to other nearby developments as the drains could not cope even then. They allegidely had sewerage seeping into their cellars through the old pipes that run under them and the pipes had to be sealed from within.

Here's hoping they can cope with even more stress and use.... POOH :shock:

Dizz, I have just read your PM and when you mentioned the Obelisk everything clicked into place.

This is just my theory, I think those pipes of at a guess 36" to 40" diameter were the water supply pipes from the brick water head tank tower supplying water to the hydraulic pumps that operated the swing bridge.

I shall reply to your PM in the morning.

By the way Dizz those cottages are called Crossbrook View. :wink::D

As they were installed when the canal was built they could be hydraulic water pipes to work lock gates and bridges . There are hydraulic towers up and down the canal ..there is one at Latchford Locks..just a thought..cheers art.

Arty, amazing, you posted this one minute prior to me coming up with the same theory, so I reckon we are both correct, well done mate and 'great minds think alike'. :idea::wink:

Just off the net...

1. Nine road bridges were constructed by the Ship Canal Company. 3 bridges are supplied by the hydraulic power station at the nearby Latchford Locks.

There are eight hydraulic installations on the canal,, each having duplicate steam-engines and boilers; the mains exceed 7 m. in length, the pressure being 700 lb to the inch. They work the cranes, lifts and capstans at the docks, lock gates and culvert sluices, coal tips, swing bridges and aqueduct.

Cheers art.

Just of the net...

1. Nine road bridges were constructed by the Ship Canal Company. 3 bridges are supplied by the hydraulic power station at the nearby Latchford Locks.

There are eight hydraulic installations on the canal,, each having duplicate steam-engines and boilers; the mains exceed 7 m. in length, the pressure being 700 lb to the inch. They work the cranes, lifts and capstans at the docks, lock gates and culvert sluices, coal tips, swing bridges and aqueduct.

Cheers art.

Thanks art great information mate.

The have just pulled a few more up Algy and some smaller pipes too .....pleasant morning for a trip out with Mrs A :lol::wink:

If you then go to the Greenalls Ave end and stare at the workers with a puzzled look on your face a bloke may come out to ask 'if you are ok' and you can ask him what the pipes are so you are 100% sure. Maybe if you give him your camera he will take some close-ups for you too 8):lol: Then can you walk to the lock and see what all the red netting is in the water.

I'd go for you but my dog has suddenly taken a huge dislike to the swing bridge and wont step foot on it after a lorry went past us last week and the bridge shook. :?:roll:

Anway here's a few more pics to keep you going if Mrs A refuses (I wouldn't blame her if she did)

IMG_4608.jpg

IMG_4611.jpg

IMG_4613.jpg

IMG_4609.jpg

IMG_4607.jpg

IMG_4605.jpg

IMG_4604.jpg

IMG_4601.jpg

IMG_4614.jpg

When I'm old and gone I wonder what my future relatives will think if they ever come across all my disks of odd photo's. :lol:

Thanks for the photos Dizz, I've had no more thoughts regarding their purpose and still convinced along with arty that they were water feed/return pipes for the swing bridge hydraulic pumps operating the gears to move the bridge. I don't think it is worth bothering the lads on site, they have enough on their plate with the weather without some doddering old 'git' mithering the life out of them.

:lol::lol: I was only kidding Algy although they don't look too busy and they were scratching their heads a lot after putting two of your pipes in a huge 'skip' a while ago. They haven't put any more in since then though and the JCB's just sat there with it's chains dangling. Maybe they are waiting for you :wink:

I recon they are what you and Arty both say too and they are definately not stinky old sewer pipes as the chap was crawling through them ealier. B)

PS I fixed your post :P

Eh, you have completely lost me again Peter :unsure:

The contractor's are removing them from the site of course along with all the other rubish and rubble as it's their job... you didn't think I was doing it did you :lol::rolleyes:

Who are the 'Walton lot' by the way ?

Eh, you have completely lost me again Peter :unsure:

The contractor's are removing them from the site of course along with all the other rubish and rubble as it's their job... you didn't think I was doing it did you :lol::rolleyes:

Who are the 'Walton lot' by the way ?

I think Peter might be talking about the branch of the Walton family from Liverpool or maybe the tv Waltons, I dunno'!:unsure::D :grin:

Just to put Peter out of his 'pondering' they were taken away by a metal recycling company from Manchester. They are a new sponsor of Warrington Wolves and their names are on the back of the new 2012 home and away shirts :wink:

Gosh I know and post some 'useful' and 'interesing' stuff don't I :oops::unsure::lol:

It could be worse though as I could have also uploaded another pic showing one of the pipes going into their big container :P

I know we have "kind of" past this point, and agreed that these were water pipes to feed the hydraulic bridges and locks, but I was talking to a chap today who confirmed that. He tells me there was a water tower opposite side to Ellesmere road near to Walton Locks (seen that one on an old postcard), another one at Moore, and one at Latchford, near the locks. There is evidence too of one of the remaining pipes sticking vertically out of the ground near Northwich Road bridge, (Black Bear side) near the shed next to the MSC. I think I have a photo somewhere of that.

middlec, good info, the photo below I cropped/enlarged out of a larger photo of the 'Stag Inn' at Lower Walton, it shows clearly the 'Water Tower' on the other side of the canal where the pipes would have terminated, interesting to note that if you project the line of Ellesmere Road east it would join with what is now Greenall's Avenue and that was the start of the Chester Road (old).

When I was a lad the shop on the left was called 'Walter's', the owner was a chap called Walter Dwerryhouse, bit of useless information but you never know it might jog some ones memory, that's if anyone but us 'anoraks' stuck in a timewarp reads this. :wink::D

WaltontheStagInn.jpg

Below is a photo posted by Dizzy on 13th Oct 2010 in a similar topic showing a lovely lady by the name of Ivy browning also showing the water tower. Dizz I hope you dont mind me showing this, I searched the post out and copied the image over via 'bucket'.

13ct2010IvyBrowning.jpg