Costa Concordia

asperity

We’ve all seen images of ships lying on their side in the shallow waters around our coast but it appears where this is stuck is right on the edge of a very steep and deep drop and it wouldn’t take much to tip it over the edge. Scary stuff!

They’ll definitely have to check out the underwater topography where this accident happened because the whole of that area is highly seismically active. I remember on my last visit across that way being told that the next major volcanic event is likely to occur just off the coast.

Not trying to justify in any way what the captain may or may not have done, just pointing out the fact that there may be some natural phenomena here that would sit easier with those families who suffered loss.

Bill :)

As a ship's Master myself I'm very aware that the movements of my ship are being watched by interested parties (the receivers at my next port of call for example, needing to know when to expect my arrival) so I'm puzzled as to why the Master of the Costa Concordia would be so reckless knowing that he would be found out if something went wrong. And the old adage is, of course, if something can go wrong, it will!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

As a ship's Master myself I'm very aware that the movements of my ship are being watched by interested parties (the receivers at my next port of call for example, needing to know when to expect my arrival) so I'm puzzled as to why the Master of the Costa Concordia would be so reckless knowing that he would be found out if something went wrong. And the old adage is, of course, if something can go wrong, it will!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Whoever was responsible for employing this individual to such a high profile and responsible position should be also held accountable, the guy must certainly have had the required qualifications, ticket etc. but lacking in other areas, he appears to have been an egotistical individual who placed the importance of his image above that of the safety of his crew passengers and vessel. Perhaps a character profile would have exposed his lack of suitability for the job. Hey! I forgot we are dealing with Italians, a race traditionally full of there own importance!.

Just for interest, wouldn't have been easier (for those who were good swimmers), to just swim to the Island? :unsure:

Sea temperature at the time reportedly 8 degrees C, in the dark and with a sea running? Not easy for elderly people, though apparently there were some who did just that. However it appears that all the lifeboats were successfully launched despite the heavy list, and the vast majority of the passengers and crew were rescued. The people who weren't rescued were apparently trapped in the accomodation so didn't go to their muster stations. It will all come out in the investigation that will take place. :wink: