MSC

Stallard12

Seeing Algy's excellent photos of the MSC brought back a memory for me. Somewhere around 1947, the British Aluminum Co at Latchford, organized a 'dayout' trip for employees and their families. Unfortunately it was an unmitigated disaster. A great idea that went wrong. A Mersey ferry boat was booked to sail to Latchford locks, where the employee's families would board for a trip down the canal to New Brighton. Everyone gathered on the locks at 8:00 am for a 9:00am departure, the boat arrived at two o'clock in the afternoon and finally left, with a bunch of tired people raggedly singing, "Sailing down the river, on a Sunday afternoon ......." Several hours later it docked at New Brighton and announced that, because of the time, no one could go ashore because it was turning right around and going back to Latchford. Exhausted we finally did the walk home to Woolston via Weir Lane. I wonder if by any chance anyone else on the forum was a part of this historic cruise?

Stallard is a similar age to me, so how old am I, I'm as old as my nose but a little bit older than my teeth! :wink::D :grin:

My wise old poppa used to say he was as old as his tongue and a bit older than his teeth. Which is more than my brother could say because he was born with a full set of teeth. :mellow:

If I could just jump back to the original post and ask Algy and maybe Asp a question. From memory, it seemed like the canal held its shape fairly well upto Eastham locks and then it kinda became a wide open estuary around Runcorn all the way to Liverpool. Am I dreaming?

Your not dreaming Stallard, you have said it how it is. :)

Well not really. The canal goes through Runcorn and ends at Easham locks where it enters the River Mersey.

Ah!Asp I admit I didn't pick up on the fact that Stallard thought the Estuary started at Runcorn, although he is correct in saying the canal keeps it's shape up to Eastham and technically with the river being tidal up to Latchford you could class the 'wide' from Fiddlers Ferry as the start of the Mersey estury, Hmmm! :unsure: