World Air Traffic in 24 hours.

algy

They only look scary because on the scale used the dots on the screen are about 100 times as big as the actual aircraft.

Plus, a radar screen might show two planes as being extremely close together - when in fact they are many thousands of feet apart in altitude.

Aircraft must be kept separated vertically by at least 1,000 feet at all times (2,000 feet separation if flying above 29,000ft). If two aircraft are flying at the same altitude then they must be at least 5 nautical miles apart, AND on courses increase the distance between them (3 nautical miles when under landing control on appraoch to an airport).

That's like being on the M6 and not being able to see ANY other cars!

They only look scary because on the scale used the dots on the screen are about 100 times as big as the actual aircraft.

Plus, a radar screen might show two planes as being extremely close together - when in fact they are many thousands of feet apart in altitude.

Aircraft must be kept separated vertically by at least 1,000 feet at all times (2,000 feet separation if flying above 29,000ft). If two aircraft are flying at the same altitude then they must be at least 5 nautical miles apart, AND on courses increase the distance between them (3 nautical miles when under landing control on appraoch to an airport).

That's like being on the M6 and not being able to see ANY other cars!

I don't think anyone is concerned about the collision aspect Inky, it's just the volume of traffic. :blink:

If you want to have a look at current air traffic try this site, zoom out and try to spot Europe.

Flightradar24.com - Live Flight Tracker!

Good fun tracking flights into Liverpool and Manchester.

Excellent site Sid I very often use it!, I'll try and Hypercam my screen and post either Manchester or Heathrow at peak flight activity on here.

I uploaded this to You Tube this afternoon, the clip was taken from my laptop screen this morning and shows Flightradar24 (Free) Tracker with the traffic around London and Heathrow, After 40 seconds I marked an Emirate Airbus A388 coming in on it's final approach and tracks down to within 50ft ( almost on the runway) before the tracking software looses it. Left of the screen is a column showing a picture of the actual plane and information such as height and speed. The clip is best watched in 480 setting the 720HD tends to freeze the clip. You are better clicking on the clip displayed, this will take you to the original You Tube video, for good results watch in FULL SCREEN - Enjoy. :wink::D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nht5VgG1lcY