Beans on toast

Stallard12

Like most people from the UK I like beans on toast. Over Christmas we visited a fake English pub in Houston - the owner is English and he runs a British menu. Had bangers and mash, real imported sausages, it came with beans as a side. Here's the point, the beans had small red pieces in them, it turned out to be finely chopped, skinless canned tomato. It really boosted the taste factor of the beans. I wondered if any of y'all do that - I'm going to do it in the future.

When I was in Malaysia many years ago. I went up into the Genting Highlands. In those days it was not as commercially developed as it appears to be today but there, at very top, among the mist of the clouds I found an english type cafe serving typical english meals and for the first time in a month I enjoyed an english meal of chips, egg, sausage and baked beans! Very nice! :D

Sounds nice Stallard I might try that.

We had a fry up for breakfast today (well nearly lunch time actually). Not had one in a long time and it was sooooo nice. Ok so when I say 'fry' it was mainly all done in the oven but tasted just as good.

Sausages, bacon, cooked tomatoes, beans, melted cheese, black pudding... and cooked mushroms (although they smelt and tasted really weird after they were cooked so we threw them away).... ooh and toast and brown sauce.

Can't beat it every now and again :D

Sounds nice Stallard I might try that.

We had a fry up for breakfast today (well nearly lunch time actually). Not had one in a long time and it was sooooo nice. Ok so when I say 'fry' it was mainly all done in the oven but tasted just as good.

Sausages, bacon, cooked tomatoes, beans, melted cheese, black pudding... and cooked mushroms (although they smelt and tasted really weird after they were cooked so we threw them away).... ooh and toast and brown sauce.

Can't beat it every now and again :D

Don't tell anyone but I rather like, that invader from the colonies, hash browns with my full english. (When you say "cooked tomatoes" I assume you mean fresh tomatoes not tinned.)

- kidneys go down a treat with a cooked breakfast as well - yum.

Bits of chopped tomato have no place with the majesty of beans on toast. It sounds like something you'd find the starlings pecking over on the pavement on a Sunday morning

A full English breakfast should not be contaminated with baked beans, though hash browns are permissible.

</rant>

I agree that beans on toast should be sacrosanct, but I have to admit the tomato did give them a lift as a side dish. It was a skinned canned tomato, which seem to have that extra acidic bite to counteract the blandness. God! I sound like Jamie Oliver! :mellow::P

Our breakfast on the road that day had great hashbrowns. Cooked on the flat top, they had been allowed to go very crisp on the bottom, almost burned, then flipped to crispen the top. If you like hashbrowns Nick, you'd love red potatoes, small potatoes cut into four and roasted in the frying pan and coated with cayenne red pepper. They go well with the ham and eggs,

By the way, the bangers and mash was for lunch, so I was not violating the breakfast tradition.

...I was not violating the breakfast tradition...

No, that particular philistine was Dizzy.

Like the sound of those spuds though.

Ey up... whay am I a philistine Fugs :shock:

Mine were fresh tomatoes cut in half and cooked in the oven. They go lovely and soft and sweet but retain their 'half a tomato' image. They were not tinned or mashed in with my beans (well not until they went on my toast and I chewed them I suppose ) but I guess by putting them in the same tin as the beans it would saved me some time and effort B)

I can;t figure out whether it is the beans you are against or the tomatos fugs as you seem to have no place for either on your fry up plate. That is very sad to read <yer plate needs moisture and balance>

Hash browns next time for me Stallard .. and some of those spuds too YUM YUM :wink:

Diz, try doing your mushrooms in the microwave (2mins)- take stalk out, fill hole with cheese or butter, add garlic or garlic salt. Likewise, tomatoes (cherry) - cut in half; sprinkle with basil & garlic salt (2mins). As for baked beans - try adding a knob of butter to pan when warming, makes them nice and creamy! :wink:

PS Fugs.. what does 'cloysome' mean ?

Cloyey didn't look right, and cloysome seems to lend itself better to the stateside idiom.

On the same plate as a good breakfast, baked beans are like sugar coated baby orange slugs, in baby orange slug juice.

Now, who'd want that mixing with their egg yolk, eh?

And "cloysome" beats "yuppie" any day of the week, missy!

So basically you don't know what cloysome means either then. :lol:

As for beans being like sugar coated baby slugs in baby orange slug juice... awwww that was a low remark... bless their little cotton socks. I'll have to close my eyes when I eat them now incase they look up at me with their little dummies in :cry::cry:

no it doesn't, although 'stateside idiom' might though Mr Yup !