The Pitch

burgerman

The topic line shows what this is about, but how bad as our pitch become. It must be one of the worst ones in the league despite us being told that it would be the "envy of the league"

The only thing that I can see it has over everything else is the number of bobbles on it.

It makes a ploughed field look flat.

How can any side play football on that sort of surface.

Town are a decent side but cant show it at home. for example Towns best games this season have been away against Sheffield and Macc Town both of which had good pitches to play football on.

Has the club replaced John?

Sorry a girlie comment but I have to ask...

If it's the home pitch doesn't that mean the home team would be used to its bumps and bobbles so should win on it rather than it being the 'same' for both teams. :oops:

Just an observation and I'm sure they do win anyway... I just didn't understand you and Peter saying it was the same for both teams :oops:

What do you get for your £10k and being close to the canal does it suffer more from from rats, moles and worms as they make bumps and bobbles :lol:

Oooh flip.. someone slap me quickly .. as I may be straying into stormy waters !

How was todays game? I was at the Man United match so I couldn't make it.

Sorry a girlie comment but I have to ask...

If it's the home pitch doesn't that mean the home team would be used to its bumps and bobbles so should win on it rather than it being the 'same' for both teams. :oops:

Just an observation and I'm sure they do win anyway... I just didn't understand you and Peter saying it was the same for both teams :oops:

What do you get for your £10k and being close to the canal does it suffer more from from rats, moles and worms as they make bumps and bobbles :lol:

Oooh flip.. someone slap me quickly .. as I may be straying into stormy waters !

The overall point is that we have to put up with this pitch once a week, when the majority of teams only play on bad pitches about 5 times over the course of the season. I agree with what you are saying though.

Diz, The point we are making, is that both teams on the day, have to put up with the pitch not being like Wembley, so "it is the same for both teams" comment.

And the point that WTFC should be used to it is also true, but people always look for excuses when they lose.

A naive comment, but I am surprised that teams can't adapt to the condition of the pitch, but what do I know? :roll:

The topic line shows what this is about, but how bad as our pitch become. It must be one of the worst ones in the league despite us being told that it would be the "envy of the league"

The only thing that I can see it has over everything else is the number of bobbles on it.

It makes a ploughed field look flat.

How can any side play football on that sort of surface.

Town are a decent side but cant show it at home. for example Towns best games this season have been away against Sheffield and Macc Town both of which had good pitches to play football on.

Has the club replaced John?

Got to say the pitch is the worse I have seen for a long time however I disagree that town is a decent team it looks to me as though we are a long way off. Witton were twice as good as us yesterday, okay we can raise our game for a couple of matches but we are way off the mark from last year where we had a half decent team. sorry folks reality.

The point i was making is that Town cant play on it the game we play dosent suit the pitch.

I do agree that teams need to adapt however if you start the season on good pitches it becomes very difficult to change. Town havnt got the players to play on that pitch and to change would mean replacing the entire side.

We were outplayed so its not an excuse but how can a side play football on that pitch. Witton are one of the best sides i have seen but even then some of there play was awful because of the pitch.

I somtimes think that the players are worried to kick the ball as they are worried aout the ball catching a bobble.

There was an example of the pitch affecting town when Duffy passed the ball to Alan Collins who was in the clear, the ball hits a bobble and its momentum ends as Collins had to go a get the ball despite duffy over hitting it.

I remember a few years ago Old Traffod being a mess after a grand final a few years back United lost two games in a row at home, so Fergie demanded that the pitch should be reliad.

The comment about the pitch being the envy of the league was made at the end of last season.

As for Gahgan, (he should have been sent off after 30 seconds)Witton played him at number 9.

Perhaps it needs a few Sunday League players who still play on a ploughed field.

At the end of the day, we are where we are, so the manager and team have to cut their cloth accordingly.

Until the latter stages of last season, they were playing on the same bobbly pitch and at one stage were heading for the play-offs.

Perhaps the club needs some guidance on the problems of the pitch and how to alleviate them, bearing in mind that cost is THE main factor.

Does it get rolled these days?

Perhaps it needs a few Sunday League players who still play on a ploughed field.

At the end of the day, we are where we are, so the manager and team have to cut their cloth accordingly.

Until the latter stages of last season, they were playing on the same bobbly pitch and at one stage were heading for the play-offs.

Perhaps the club needs some guidance on the problems of the pitch and how to alleviate them, bearing in mind that cost is THE main factor.

Does it get rolled these days?

I think you have answered my point Peter up until christmas last year town had only lost two games in the league and as you say heading for the playoffs.

Then the pitch started to worsen after the bad weather and town started to slide.

This year the pitch has been bad since september hence why town havnt been as good this year.

So if it isnt the pitch how come we have a better away record than we do at home, which seems to be the same each season. is it somthing to do with the pressure of playing infront of a big crowd?

I am not the only one that thinks this way, a decent pitch will lead to a successful team.

Look at the top of table from last season the top 4 or 5 teams all had good pitches, and the same can be said for this year all the top sides have a decent pitch.

But why doesn't the opposing team play badly if they are used to a decent pitch?

You can't have it both ways. Doesn't matter how bad the pitch is, the home team should have an advantage and win more than they lose.

And at the start of this season, they weren't doing at all well home or away, even when the pitch was ok.

Is the pitch to blame for the opposition scoring goals? :blink:

For what its worth i think the pitch is poor and both teams struggled with it on Boxing Day. But what do you expect at this level where money is tight? A snooker table you wont get anywhere.. However Witton still played better than us despite us having a few chances in both halves.

Adrian - Woodley Sports has a near perfect pitch each week :wink: (due to it being 3G)

On a serious note this topic has been in discussion for the last few seasons now, Town always seem to struggle at home for whatever reason it may be. There is much worse in this league, no need to name them as most people will know which ones but as Burgerman states - The top of the table teams all have the best pitches in the league! Not rocket science that they challenge for promotion.

Majority of a teams wins come at home, it is always good to get points away but you have to win your home games to stand a chance of challenging at the top. A long standing problem at Warrington Town is the home form it seems

But why doesn't the opposing team play badly if they are used to a decent pitch?

You can't have it both ways. Doesn't matter how bad the pitch is, the home team should have an advantage and win more than they lose.

And at the start of this season, they weren't doing at all well home or away, even when the pitch was ok.

Is the pitch to blame for the opposition scoring goals? :blink:

I think it is psycological, if you play on it every week you are waiting for a bobble so you are less likley to shoot incase you are made to look a clown by the pitch.

Unlike the opposition who are not waiting for a bobble will strike the ball more confidently which will lead to more goals,

Wire Warrior - Wilderspool is still around last i heard Warrington Wolves under 21 and 18 teams plus all of the school ages, and also the Warrington Wizards i think still play there.

Wilderspool is also in not a good way it has been falling down for a few years and is not much better than were we already are.

Ithink the ground is fine its the pitch that is the biggest let down at the moment.

Something should be done about the pitch if we want to go forward, I just doubt the club could afford to properly fix it. How much would something like that cost?

Best part of £10k was spent on it during the close season with the same company who do other pitches in the league like Curzon Ashton.

Money will be spent on it again during the close season to try and improve it still further.

But there are plenty of worse pitches at Prescot, Harrogate, Ossett/Wakefield to name but a few.

Bamber Bridge has serious drainage issues as well.

We know the pitch is an issue - but it always has been and is a lot better than it was five years ago.

I think some supporters are starting to forget how far the club has come on and off the field in the last five years. I realise expectations have also risen but there is plenty going on behind the scenes to ensure Warrington has a football club moving in the right direction.

While results are important, what happens in the sort term on the pitch, will have little baring on the long term ambitions.

When you take into account simple things like changing a light bulb in a floodlight can cost the best part of £1k a time and 20 per cent of everything we take on the gate e.t.c. has to pay the tax man we have to ensure we cut our cloth accordingly and at no time put the club at risk.

You will see a rising number of clubs struggle financially in the coming months and I fear some will sadly go to the wall or return to amateur status - here ast Warrington Town we intend to keep a steady ship and sail through the strom strong and healthy with something to build upon.

All the active directors are Warrington born and bred with our hearts and souls in the club.

Best part of £10k was spent on it during the close season with the same company who do other pitches in the league like Curzon Ashton.

Money will be spent on it again during the close season to try and improve it still further.

But there are plenty of worse pitches at Prescot, Harrogate, Ossett/Wakefield to name but a few.

Bamber Bridge has serious drainage issues as well.

We know the pitch is an issue - but it always has been and is a lot better than it was five years ago.

I think some supporters are starting to forget how far the club has come on and off the field in the last five years. I realise expectations have also risen but there is plenty going on behind the scenes to ensure Warrington has a football club moving in the right direction.

While results are important, what happens in the sort term on the pitch, will have little baring on the long term ambitions.

When you take into account simple things like changing a light bulb in a floodlight can cost the best part of £1k a time and 20 per cent of everything we take on the gate e.t.c. has to pay the tax man we have to ensure we cut our cloth accordingly and at no time put the club at risk.

You will see a rising number of clubs struggle financially in the coming months and I fear some will sadly go to the wall or return to amateur status - here ast Warrington Town we intend to keep a steady ship and sail through the strom strong and healthy with something to build upon.

All the active directors are Warrington born and bred with our hearts and souls in the club.

hi Gary

Please dont think i am having ago it was an observation. however i would hate to see the team go backwards because of the pitch. However im glad it will be looked at again in the summer.

The club has moved forward under your leadership, and is safer than ever in no threat of going bust.

I think the problem is that as you say expectation have risen and with that more critism comes your way, but that could be seen as a good thing.

We all want the same thing and that is a successful football team in Warrington, its just a shame that none of the directors are a member of the Kuwait royal family :wink:

hi Gary

Please dont think i am having ago it was an observation. however i would hate to see the team go backwards because of the pitch. However im glad it will be looked at again in the summer.

The club has moved forward under your leadership, and is safer than ever in no threat of going bust.

I think the problem is that as you say expectation have risen and with that more critism comes your way, but that could be seen as a good thing.

We all want the same thing and that is a successful football team in Warrington, its just a shame that none of the directors are a member of the Kuwait royal family :wink:

You sound more like your old man every day. :wink::D

Was there no chance of playing at 1.00pm? That way Wolves fans could have attended both games

I think we would need to ask permission of both the league and Witton, maybe wrong though.

I think it would have been better to have played it in the evening, playing it at 1pm would have given no time to get across town.

• 1 month later...