I'm a genius.

harry hayes

Nobody told me - I just noticed it myself.

As it is this generation that has landed us in the present financial mess, I think it up to us to do our best to save our children and grand-children from suffering the effects.

My idea is to put income tax up by about 8p in the pound for a few years. I know nearly everybody is hard up, but virtually nobody paying income tax is in real poverty. Also a small reduction in benefits to go with it.

Perhaps a radical idea and I've no doubt people will shoot me down, but I would love to hear an alternative solution.(taxing fat cats is good but would only chip away at the problem. Think we are talking hundreds of billions)

Happy days

How did a fool and his money get together in the first place.

Sorry Harry, down you go in flames. Speaking for myself I pay far too much tax for the benefit I get back. The problem lies with the way government wastes so much of the revenue it takes instead of using it to promote growth. It's growth that will increase revenue, not more taxes. :wink: :wink: :wink:

So do the workers in my family Asp. The money has to be paid off sometime, and it will take growth over a long period to do that. When medicine used to taste horrible you could look at the spoon forever but sooner or later you had to bite the bullet.

People would still find money for food but they would have to make their luxury? goods last longer, most of which are imported anyway.

Happy days

.... so have prices, if you want to compare like with like; but that's what is called progess isn't it? Throughout history, each successive generation has tended to be better off than the preceeding one - until now, that is. :roll:

But they are still better of than they were in previous years. Just need to buy a little less cream.

All of which has contributed to living beyond our means and that has got to be put right one way or the other. Sadly, we have had "our annual rises" built on sand.

The latest figure I have read is that we are paying 43 billion pounds a year interest on the national debt. All dead money. Some of Googles figures say it is much higher that that.

Happy days