League Leader's Shield is a disgrace!

Gary

I'm sure Safes will agree with this article, as he's been a strong advocate in this regard for a while now.

I'd like to see a genuine trophy and acknowledgement for the winners of the league, with all the players getting a winners medal. The winners would be considered the Champions of Super League

I'd then like to see another separate competition (same as the play-offs) under a different banner resulting in the Grand Final at Old Trafford. I enjoy watching play-off rugby and the evening at Old Trafford is a fantastic atmosphere and one I enjoy every year, irrespective of who plays.

I could have written that article myself...I'm surprised there's not more anger being expressed. Only in RL is this disgraceful state of affairs tolerated. What's the point of the players pulling their tripes out week in, week out, striving to give of their best every week and at the end of the season a team which finishes fifth are crowned champions while the true champions i.e. The Mighty Wire finishing up with naff all(I don't count the plate which the RL must have got from Poundland). As has been said it's all about cash and giving the armchair fans a few more games in the close season. By that I mean when all the League fixtures have been completed and the Champions emerge at the top of the pile.I'm surprised and sickened that the old championship trophy was presented to Wigan on a permanent basis...Who the heck gave them permission to do that ?? It belongs to Rugby League in general not to any club. If it has to be anywhere permanently it should be at Red Hall.

I've just visited the other forum and to my dismay not one poster agreed with the article...How old are these posters ? Judging by their posts I would imagine around 14 years old...Can't they see that this play-off system is for the benefit of Sky TV ? It's plainly obvious that Sky have been denegrating the value of the Challenge Cup for years simply because they haven't got the broadcasting rights. They hate mentioning the Challenge Cup in their broadcasts yet big up the play-offs at every opportunity. Sometimes I wish that SkyTV had bought Crown Green Bowling instead of Rugby League...They now totally own the game just as they do in Australia. They own Premiership football and we are small beer in comparison...

I must admit I am surprised by the bashing Mr Daniels and myself and warrington-worldwide have received on the "other" forum.

Like you say Safes must be a generation thing.

Kids just want the glory these days instead of the hard slog of winning things properly.

Short attention span springs to mind! :roll:

Saying that Gary, Warrington Town are aiming to win the Playoffs this year... :wink:

Would we be saying this if we had won it?

Anyway, yeah, The playoff system is pathetic.

I was talking to a St. Helens fan before the Grand Final.

He came up to me and said "Way, Warrington got knocked out by Leeds", "Practically every year ends up as you and Leeds in the final... and they win", "You aint even in the final...", "We won the league", "No-one cares."

I don't like it being like this, no-one gives us credit for it. And if the Yanks at Anfield get their way, the Premier league will be the same in 5 years...

And yeah, all 14 year olds have short attention spans...? :blink:

If anything Sky has a more sinister presence in football than it does in Rugby League. There's talk now of the same franchise system being introduced there in the same way it now operates in Rugby League which means the game will become an elitist league which those left outside of it have virtually no hope of ever gaining access. At the moment it would require the agreement of 14 clubs to achieve this system which,thank goodness,it won't happen yet.But with almost every football club up for sale this could quite easily change. Bill Kenright is trying to sell Everton FC at the moment with little success but who knows what's around the corner. A couple of spiv Yanks or Russian gangsters could turn up with a suitcase full of debts or money stolen from the people of Russia and the club will be gone. Repeat this a few times and it's certain that profit and greed will win the day and the system will arrive and the game will be lost to the little people. Of course we have bright shiny new stadiums thanks to Sky TV but the joy has left the game. What was once a pleasure is now deadly serious and is losing it's reason for being.