Couple of easy ones.

algy

The publicans name in 1895 was - Mrs Maud M. Loy (fact) :wink:

Enhanced fact...aged 34 at the time and had two sons Cecil age 13 and John age 9.

She died in Liverpool in 1912 age 51.

How's that for a completely usless bit of info purely because you lot are on here far too early. Can you not sleep or are you just completely addicted to the forum :wink:

Question... on the first picture what does it say on the front of the Pub as I can't read it on my pc but doesn't look like it says Eagle and Child.

Enhanced fact...aged 34 at the time and had two sons Cecil age 13 and John age 9.

She died in Liverpool in 1912 age 51.

How's that for a completely usless bit of info purely because you lot are on here far too early. Can you not sleep or are you just completely addicted to the forum :wink:

Question... on the first picture what does it say on the front of the Pub as I can't read it on my pc but doesn't look like it says Eagle and Child.

Nice bit of detective work Dizz, "early to bed early to rise".

As far as I can see there is no discernible name on the pub, on the window it says "News Room" probably where they supplied newspapers for the locals to read.

The picture below shows the entrance to Patten's lane from Bridge Street, I had to remove the name off the one I displayed earlier as it would have been pointless asking anyone yo name it :blink: the other is an old map showing the location.

1900sPattenLanetheentrytoTheEagleChildwestofBridgeStreet.jpg

EagleChild.jpg

Ahh sorry Algy I thought the pub was the building on the right with the large window and canopy. That's what I was trying to read...stupid me :oops: Had you left the name on the sign I would have probably missed it anyway :lol:

I've got my bearings now thanks to the map (well sort of).

Dolmans lane must have been pretty much where the access to the Market is off Bridge Street then (just down from Hancock and Wood)and not quite where I thought it was ie slightly lower down.

Cheers Algy

It says on the shop hoarding, Briggs then something like Comb. :blink:

Briggs and Compy. I presume that would have been an abbreviation of Company rather than Co.

At the moment i can't find them in the 1895 Slaters Directory so they may be new to town in 1904 about when the photo dates from.

Come on detective Dizz let's be knowing!.

I've just about given up Algy.

I now know it was number 34/36 and in 1895 it was in the hands of John Shaw Green, a Bookseller.

In desperation I even tried to enhance the pic to see what was in the shop window but it's lower quality so I couldn't. :lol:

The Only Briggs I can find so far is a William Briggs, Pawnbroker who had premises on Bewsey Road and Powys Street (Liverpool Road) in 1885. Maybe he expanded moved to Bridge Street later.. who knows.

Anyway in 1895 (no help really as too early but I found it so I'm telling you)

Bridge Street went 28 to 32 Grand Clothing Hall Co, clothiers

34 & 36 John Shaw Green, Bookseller. *later Briggs somthing or other

then

42 Eagle and Child

42 W. S. Roberts cabinet maker

On the other side of Bridge Street, Dolmans Lane had Moses Ekcersley, Chemist on one side and Boot's Chemist on the Other.

Usless I know :unsure:

I've just about given up Algy.

I now know it was number 34/36 and in 1895 it was in the hands of John Shaw Green, a Bookseller.

In desperation I even tried to enhance the pic to see what was in the shop window but it's lower quality so I couldn't. :lol:

The Only Briggs I can find so far is a William Briggs, Pawnbroker who had premises on Bewsey Road and Powys Street (Liverpool Road) in 1885. Maybe he expanded moved to Bridge Street later.. who knows.

Anyway in 1895 (no help really as too early but I found it so I'm telling you)

Bridge Street went 28 to 32 Grand Clothing Hall Co, clothiers

34 & 36 John Shaw Green, Bookseller. *later Briggs somthing or other

then

42 Eagle and Child

42 W. S. Roberts cabinet maker

On the other side of Bridge Street, Dolmans Lane had Moses Ekcersley, Chemist on one side and Boot's Chemist on the Other.

Usless I know :unsure:

Any knowledge of our local history is anything but useless Dizz, you would be surprised what other folk would see as trivia and what I find totally absorbing, incidentally my wife has always considered me as a bit of an anorak, for example I downloaded the complete 1881 census for the Peninsular (Orford) Barracks and find it interesting to see what far flung corners of the Empire the soldiers and their wives were from, anyhow thanks for the information. :)