How these people suffered in 1773!

algy

Very interesting read Algy and rather sad too but I guess even in today's standards some countries with their lack of health care and disease make those figures and statistics seem very low indeed.

I'll have to read it a few more times though as there are so many 'f's where there should be 's's that I did start to get the giggles part way though, sorry :oops:

Why is that by the way?

Also what is the 'Consumption', 'Dropsy', 'Palsy'. Quinsey' and 'Chincough' as those I have never really heard of.

I was reading a small book earlier today about the Poor Laws and workshouses in Warrington and other towns from around the same era so your post has added to that. Guess we must both have our 'old' heads on today :wink:

All very interesting and makes me wonder how on earth we are all here today really... I guess we need to thank our ancestors as they must have being right old toughies to survive all that was thrown at them eh :wink:

Dizz, just for you:-

Consumption - TB or Tuberculosis.

Dropsy - Retaining water or Edema which can be caused by congestive heart failure, it is often more prominent in the lower legs and feet toward the end of the day as a result of pooling of fluid from the upright position usually maintained during the day. Upon awakening from sleeping, people can have swelling around the eyes referred to as periorbital edema.

Palsy - Paralysis of body parts often accompanied by loss of sensation and by uncontrolled body movements, such as shaking.

Quinsey - Quinsy is a tonsillar abscess at the back of the throat caused by streptococcus and is extremely painful.

Chin - cough - A contagious disease, often epidemic among children. It increases for some weeks, is attended with a difficulty of breathing, and in its worst stage, with a degree of convulsion. From a particular noise made in coughing, it is also called hooping cough.