Internet service.

Stallard12

I am always fascinated by the differences between the Uk and other places. Thought that my phone bill, service charges, fees etc was getting too high, so I called the phone company, who is also my internet provider, to seek a better deal. Threatened to cancel my landline service and ended up with a new package. Full landline service with free local calls, call waiting, caller ID, and they doubled my internet speed with unlimited access for a total bill of $28, that's about Pounds 18 per month. How does that compare. Interested to find out.

I am always fascinated by the differences between the Uk and other places. Thought that my phone bill, service charges, fees etc was getting too high, so I called the phone company, who is also my internet provider, to seek a better deal. Threatened to cancel my landline service and ended up with a new package. Full landline service with free local calls, call waiting, caller ID, and they doubled my internet speed with unlimited access for a total bill of $28, that's about Pounds 18 per month. How does that compare. Interested to find out.

I am with utility warehouse (Telecom plus) who do a service called broadcall and if you subscribe to their gas and/or electric package you get landline, free phone calls 24/7 anywhere in the Uk, plus your broadband package all for £19.95 a month.

Seems pretty fair Gary, that's about $30, so it's a little higher, but you get free long distance calls and my electric bill is about 40Pounds per month. However, I use my cell for all long distance and that's about $60 (Pounds 40) for a family plan with unlimited minutes, so I should add some of that in. I have 10,10, 987 international calling that cost me about a penny (1/4th of a new 'P') per minute. So a thirty minute call to the UK costs about 8p. All very interesting - shall I call you ?

Seems pretty fair Gary, that's about $30, so it's a little higher, but you get free long distance calls and my electric bill is about 40Pounds per month. However, I use my cell for all long distance and that's about $60 (Pounds 40) for a family plan with unlimited minutes, so I should add some of that in. I have 10,10, 987 international calling that cost me about a penny (1/4th of a new 'P') per minute. So a thirty minute call to the UK costs about 8p. All very interesting - shall I call you ?

My cell is also from utility warehouse and is £20 a month for unlimited calls and texts!

They all seem very acceptable Gary. I'm slightly surprised because I had a friend who told me a couple of years ago, that it was so expensive that she had to buy just a few hours a day online. Her address was .switz.virgin.uk.

I suspect more than half the UK forum users are paying too much - but when things sound too good to be true they think they are.

Anyone on here who still pays BT landline charges and their calls and another amount for the internet needs their bumps feeling! :rolleyes:

In fact anyone still with BT has more money than sense!

Gary is right in a way Stallard although I have heard others say that going back to BT has actually saved them money. I don't know as I've not been with them for years.

Over here there are so many companies offering you the best 'deals' these days that unless you actually really look into what you are getting you can finish up paying more in the long run.

Like Gary says... 'if it sounds too good to be true it probably is'. Alas many people fall for all the sweetners and false promises of savings without putting their brain in gear first.

It goes for all service providors ie gas, elec, phone, mobile phone, internet, insurance.... I could go on and on.

You really do have to read the small print and ask questions and the compare in 'true' detail and costs yourself based on all the figures and other bits they don't really tell you about.

All the comparison sites we have over here such as 'gocompare' and 'compare the meerkat' etc etc even make it more confusing as half the time they get it wrong too. Do you have those over there ?

Nothing is straight forward or as simple as it seems anymore.

I have been searching for car insurance today based on all the promises on our TV screens and the one that said they could beat any and save me a fortune and would give me two months free as a new customer were actually £100 more expensive than the company I am already with. Infact I am yet to find one that is actually cheaper than who I am already with.

Surely that's not right as being a prospective new customer to others they should be pulling out all the stops to entice me to change over. Ah well they have all failed so far 8)

Keeps us busy and our minds active though I suppose :lol:

If you want to be baffled ask Victor about his spreadsheets..... I believe he runs rings around energy supply companies and others these days and they learn a lot from him during their chats and his explanation of 'how' they are not actually cheaper based on his calculations.

I imagine that most have probably removed him from their database of 'people to call' now :lol::lol:

Gary, can you get Sky without a BT line?

I am not with BT but have got Sky - Utility Warehouse sub-contract the BT lines but don't charge a line rental like BT - how does that work!!?? :blink:

They pay for something, don't charge you for it and provide a cheaper service than BT - Bizarre but true!

Talk Talk do it like that too as our works phone and internet still comes through the same BT lines and boxes from when we were with BT. We've been with TT for some years now and don't pay BT anything at all or pay any line rental.

Talk Talk did explain it all to me some years ago but I clearly wasn't really listening as I can't remember what they said :oops:

They've saved us a fortune over the years compared with what we used to pay BT in call charges and the like.

I guess that confusion is global, the same problems exist here. I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky, but my choices are limited. I live in an isolated area -40 miles to the closest town, and only one company, Verizon, has a cell tower in the area, so nothing else works in this heavily wooded area. ATT have the only internet line into our addition, so I have to use them. Luckily though, their employees don't know this, so I can always get them to give me a better deal by threatening to change, even though I can't.

My parents owned a corner grocery store in the '50's, so we had to have a phone. All calls were charged and in ten years I don't think we made anything but a half dozen 'emergency' calls. Todays system, for all its faults is probably better than that.