4x4s ?

observer

Way too small for anything other than a "scoop and run". That's all the military landrover based ambulances do.

The St. John's Ambulance have a few. There's a few pics on here:-

http://www.adrianstomcat.co.uk/LandRover127.htm

There's no chance of actually being able to treat a patient while moving. There's not enough space, and - due to the off-road suspension - the ride is way too bouncy.

I think most of the old Transit ambulances were based on the front wheel drive transit so as to allow them to have a low, wide and flat floor inside with no prop shaft going to the rear wheels.

The 4WD version has a higher floor to allow for the prop shaft.

The Merc Sprinters and Fiat Ducatos now in use most places are also bigger than even the long wheel base Transit.

4 x 4's go into the ditch as well Observer - take it from someone that lived in the frozen North for 20 yrs. It takes a very good driver and a decent road grit crew to keep you safe in winter.

In places like Colorado - where there are mountains, they are allowed to have chains on their tires. Doubt that would be very practical for the Ambulances over there?

Some Euro countries allow studded tyres, unfortunately I reckon our roads would fall to bits if they let them over here!

I am on winter tyres and they are brilliant....... I would recommend them to anyone who needs to drive in this weather. Just get a set and swap them like they do in Germany. A cheap tatty set of wheels isn't that expensive so having a second set of wheels is the easiest way to go. Just swap them over in November or December and they will last for a few years plus they save the tread on your summer tyres too!

Winter tyres are made of a different rubber compound which offer more grip in snow and icey conditions (up to 50% more in some cases)

In Germany, up to 50% of drivers swap their tyres to winter ones!

I bought mine as a complete set with wheels too from EBay Germany. They were shipped over and I fitted them myself in about 30 minutes.

Buying the whole set including postage was cheaper than buying the tyres alone over here!

My "summer" tyres will be re-fitted at the end of February and the winter ones put away until November

Baz thats the most sensible suggestion I have heard for a long time, I'm allways wittering on to our family about when I worked one winter in Finland and how it is mandatory to change to winter tyres in November (studded tyres there though) and why we don't do it here, never entered my head to do what you have done definitely sort something for next year now. :oops: