Old Warrington Photos

algy

It's great to see so many old photos available of Warrinton and the area in one place. Lovely and really interesting to look back on how things once were :D Thanks Algy and please don't delete them.

Always wondered about copyright of old photos as in all the books I have (and I have most of them) they always have a 'copyright' even when the same picture appears in many other books and online too. :?

Can't help but think that sometimes it is just used for financial gain by the writers and publishers etc Shame

The way I see it is that if the person who originally took the photo is long since gone then surely they don't really belong to anyone and as such we should be allowed to enjoy what they enjoyed taking.

Take note Indy..... as in 100 years time people may be saying the same about your video clips... gone but not forgotten and the legend lives on :wink::D:lol:

as far as I am aware they are out of copyright however I would not like to see them used for financial gain also if anyone does have any objections I shall remove them immediately.

I suspect the copyright has long gone to the photographers grave- I don't think you will have any issues.

• 3 years later...

In general the copyright for a photo or written document lasts for 70 years after the person who took it/wrote it dies (I think it is 50 years for music). Obviously, it can be hard to trace the copyright owner and also to find out when they died. You often find notes in the books published by the library saying they couldn't trace the copyright owner, but they still publish the book (and make money out of it). So if I died in 2013, all my own photos on the mywarrington website would be out of copyright in 2084. Of course, I don't own any copyright on those taken by others shown on the site.

In general the copyright for a photo or written document lasts for 70 years after the person who took it/wrote it dies (I think it is 50 years for music). Obviously, it can be hard to trace the copyright owner and also to find out when they died. You often find notes in the books published by the library saying they couldn't trace the copyright owner, but they still publish the book (and make money out of it). So if I died in 2013, all my own photos on the mywarrington website would be out of copyright in 2084. Of course, I don't own any copyright on those taken by others shown on the site.

Thanks for the reply Gordon, that is useful information.

I've always wondered about the copyright issue on old photos. I see some images on Francis Frith with a copyright stamp but then see them on other websites too. I wouldn't be surprised if 'copyright' is claimed over the same image by several different sources.

Thanks for re-instating your photos Algy, I'm off for a browse in case I missed any!

Old and not to mention confusing as you have to read backwards from your link about re-instating the photo's Algy and the first topic post by Gary was actually the last one before Gordon replied yesterday.

I thought I was going mad for a moment :lol:  :lol: