How many buildings or pieces of land

Dizzy

How many buildings or pieces of land.... have Warringon Borough Council bought in the past 5 years either outright purchases on their own or jointly with other 'interested' parties.

Anyone got any idea? :wink:

That's what I thought until an hour ago when I read this....

Report in the Liverpool Daily Post dated 7 April 2010

Mr Farrall [Warrington Borough Council?s executive director for environment and regeneration] said: ?Since August, we have bought the majority of the Bridge Street Quarter. We have been doing all the background stuff. We have now commissioned advisers. We are going to the market this month to suss out interest ? there was no point until then ? to formally obtain a development partner in June or July.

http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/ldpbusiness/business-features/2010/04/07/warrington-progressing-on-its-ambitious-development-plans-92534-26188747/

a little further down the article it also says: "To the south of the town centre, there are proposals to create a five-star hotel and golf course estate at Walton Hall. It will see the existing golf course turned into a golf academy.

An operator has been selected, but not yet named, for the ?25m development and the renovations are expected to take five years."

Thought they weren't even looking until June? and that public consultations would take place......

Presuming WBC had/have a far sighted Land Aquisition and Disposal Strategy - it would make sense for them to purchase land. a) provides a safe investment. B) provides the ultimate planning control (ownership). c) can provide opportunities to accrue large financial gain from ransom strips. d) provides some fat to live off in times of austerity! :wink:

True Obs, but in the news release Mr Farrall (Warrington Borough Council?s executive director for environment and regeneration) is quoted as saying ?Since August, we have bought the majority of the Bridge Street Quarter. We have been doing all the background stuff. We have now commissioned advisers. We are going to the market this month to suss out interest ? there was no point until then ? to formally obtain a development partner in June or July.

Seems odd to buy, commission costly advisers, do all the background stuff and then 'suss out' if there is any interest. Think I'd have sussed first :lol: Anyway guess theirs is probably the right way to do it 8)

What's annoying though is whilst they have been happily buying up land/buildings for their Bridge Street Quarter plan (thought they were completely skint by the way.. oooh NWDA helped a bit I know :wink: ) .... they have also SOLD OFF a piece of land for ?1 (Cartwrights Field) which has been used for well over 40 years as a recreational ground by kids and other members of the local community. They have even fenced it off now to be spiteful and keep people out despite nothing being built on it :roll::evil:

And of course there is Walton Gardens !!! and probably lots of other buildings and bits of land that we are not aware of.

PS does anyone remember being 'consulted' over the Bridge Street Quarter SDP (January 2009 until March 2009) ??? Apparently we all were :?

had to go and find out what date this was published. (April 7th.) it mentions garven place as one of the projects that it will be pushing in the summer.

due to NHS overspend the plans for garven place have been scrapped.

as for consultation i think their idea of that is "well i asked my mate in the pub about it last night and he thought it was a good idea" "great that's the consultation box ticked then, what's next" :?:?:lol:

Consulting is a word that has no meaning but it does tick a box.

WBC do NOT actually consult. They might tell a couple of people about their plans and that ticks the boxes.

As obs says, they keep voting them in. :roll::roll::roll::roll:

According to their exec board meeting (report by Bob Barr, Andy Farrell, Peter Taylor :shock: , David Cruickshank S151 Officer, Ian Mason & John Holmes (solicitors to the Council]

The SPD has undergone an 8 week public consultation period from Monday 19th January 2009 until Monday 16th March 2009. The public consultation was carried out in accordance with Council?s Statement of Community Involvement Document.

Recommendations:

That the Board: - approve the final Bridge Street SPD following amendments made as a result of the public consultation, and formally adopt the SPD as a material consideration in the consideration of planning applications.

So we are all wrong they obvioulsy DO consult :?:wink: ... might read just what their 'Council?s Statement of Community Involvement Document' actually says when I am really bored :wink::lol: