Name change.

Peter T

Smells of Houliers infatuation with france and its colonial ties previously. However Sven is supposed to be creating a "mini" england so it seems that the experience of the manager dictates the country of origin of the players.

That said, the signings have been mainly good (which manager doesnt sign some duffers at some point) and woudl probably get their money back or more if sold on. Garcia however went a bit cheap for my liking.

Think we have to accept that the days of all the players hailing from the home town (Celtic euro winners) are long gone.

Anyhow didnt Liverpools first championship winning team ever contain all bar one scots? :confused:

Just spoken to a Man U friend who says he is now putting his money on Liverpool to win the league next season, describing Torres as a top, top striker who will provide the missing link in the Liverpool team.

Pleased to hear that Benitez is saying he wants Crouch to stay and that Bellamy can go.

:bluegrab:

Peter and Eagle i feel i must point out that although Liverpool have a number of Spanish players in their squad perhaps your team is not so English as it would appear,

3French.2Portugese,Dutch,Argentinian,Serbian,South Korea,Norwegian,Polish,Chinese,Brazilian.Rep of Ireland,Welsh,Scottish and of course a few English,stones and glasshouses spring to mind :crazy:

Originally posted by Gary:

Just spoken to a Man U friend who says he is now putting his money on Liverpool to win the league next season, describing Torres as a top, top striker who will provide the missing link in the Liverpool team.

Pleased to hear that Benitez is saying he wants Crouch to stay and that Bellamy can go.

:wink:

Originally posted by bobshaw235:

Peter and Eagle i feel i must point out that although Liverpool have a number of Spanish players in their squad perhaps your team is not so English as it would appear,

3French.2Portugese,Dutch,Argentinian,Serbian,South Korea,Norwegian,Polish,Chinese,Brazilian.Rep of Ireland,Welsh,Scottish and of course a few English,stones and glasshouses spring to mind :wink:

The original Liverpool team in 1892 certainly comprised of Scots, once Everton left Anfield. The first Merseyside Derby would have confused modern spectators. Modern day Scousers travelling back in time would be cheering for the wrong teams! :D Liverpool originally wore blue. Everton wore red when they won the League in 1891. By the time Everton lost to Aston Villa in the 1897 FA Cup Final they were wearing salmon and grey hooped shirts, a colour scheme they wore again as an away kit in the early 1990s. By the time Liverpool won the League and Everton the FA Cup in 1906 they were wearing the familiar colours though it was not until some time into the 1964-65 season that Bill Shankly discarded Liverpool's white shorts and socks (Liverpool having the same look as Charlton Athletic up until then), for the all-red look to make them an all-red version of Real Madrid.

Oh, and by the way, only one Liverpool player in the 1986 FA Cup Final was English, and that was Steve McMahon, though Paul Walsh I think was English, he played for Liverpool at that point. :wink:

[ 05.07.2007, 23:18: Message edited by: Goonerman ]