The demise of the X2

vic

What a shame - Arriva (trading as Excel) put on a marvellous bus in July: Liverpool - Liverpool Airport - Widnes - Warrington - Manchester Airport - Manchester running every hour all day and night. Bus passes accepted!

Sadly, there's a lack of full fare paying passengers, and it's been difficult keeping to schedule on Manchester's congested roads (one of the highlights has been the variety of routes drivers have taken to get round the city). So it finishes on December 12th (with no bus passes allowed after this month).

So once again no direct public transport between Warrington and either airport (except an occasional National Express coach to MAN). Good news for taxi drivers.

I thought I was going to be flying out of Liverpool on an early morning in September - turns out I was actually booked out of East Midlands (long story). Considered catching the airport coach but was a bit put off. I'd have needed to get from my parents house in Bruche to the Interchange in the first place. Plus, even if I lived on Knutsford Road and the coach went past my house, I'd still not be able to board at the local bus stop because it only stopped at the Interchange.

If another bus company tries to run an airport service in the future, I think it would be more successful if it stopped at the majority of bus stops: takes a bit longer, but handier for those living in the suburbs, and better economics because it would be able to carry some local passengers too.

Are there really that many people commuting from Warrington to the airports on a daily basis to make any kind of service viable? :?

The vast majority of people probably go the airport once or twice a year and to be picked up from your home at any time of the day to suit and be driven there for ?25 for up to four-six people is well worth it rather than the hassle of trying to get a scheduled bus service. :roll:

Are there really that many people commuting from Warrington to the airports on a daily basis to make any kind of service viable?

Probably not: there will be some airport workers, but don't forget the passengers.

The vast majority of people probably go the airport once or twice a year and to be picked up from your home at any time of the day to suit and be driven there for ?25 for up to four-six people is well worth it rather than the hassle of trying to get a scheduled bus service.

That's ?50 for a return trip, which might be reasonable if you're a group of four but is a bit extortionate if you're travelling solo. The coach currently offers a ?10 return ticket for a single adult or a ?23.80 "family" (2+2) return ticket. Sounds like a fair deal to me.

The train by comparison (changing at Manchester and taking a bit longer than the coach, more frequent during the daytime but no overnight services) is ?13.90 per person for an Anytime Return ticket.

is it a bus or a coach JM? Because if it were a bus; imagine if 30 people all got on with suitcaeses and flight bags etc, there wouldn't be enough room for the driver!!

It's a coach so there's an underfloor compartment. But if it was a bus, it could certainly have extra luggage racks, just like the multitude of other airport bus services in the UK 8)

One couple got on at Manchester Airport for Widnes - ?14 for two rather than ?55 for a taxi...

It's been quite good fun, with often a bit of "craic" with foreign visitors.

Latest new bus service (started today) is the "Strawberry" S1, Warrington to Skelmersdale! Looks aimed at bus pass holders on a day out, with a change at Skem for Southport (or at Warrington for Chester).