Fayed eyes 'president of Scotland' role

Mary

Mohamed Al Fayed, owner of plush London emporium Harrods, told The Sunday Times he was ready to become the first president of an independent Scotland.

The Egyptian tycoon, 80, who owns an estate in the Scottish Highlands, said he was urging his "fellow Scots" to detach themselves from "the English and their terrible politicians".

Fayed, who has been repeatedly refused a British passport, said he hoped to be offered Scottish citizenship if a planned referendum on Scottish independence leads to Scotland leaving the United Kingdom -- and then becoming a republic.

"You Scots have been living in a coma for too long," he told the broadsheet.

"Whatever help is needed for Scotland to regain its independence, I will provide it. When you Scots regain your freedom I'm ready to be your president."

The Scottish National Party, in power in the devolved Edinburgh administration, is committed to holding a referendum on independence.

However, Fayed is not impressed with Scotland's First Minister Alex Salmond, the SNP leader.

"I will do anything for Scotland but I don't want this Alex Salmond," he said.

"I asked to meet him but he refused. I wanted to give him some help and advice, but he didn't want to know.

"I believe in Scotland but he still won't see me."

The Fulham Football Club owner is the father of Dodi Fayed, the lover of Diana, princess of Wales, who was killed in the same 1997 Paris car crash.

No fan of the royal family, Fayed has long alleged that the couple were killed in an establishment plot involving Queen Elizabeth II's husband Prince Philip.

:roll:8)

And I found this:

In 1985, he and his brother Ali bought House of Fraser, a group that included the famous London store Harrods, for ?615m. The Harrods deal was made under the nose of Roland 'Tiny' Rowland, the head of Lonrho. Rowland had been seeking to buy Harrods and took the Fayed brothers to a Department of Trade inquiry. The inquiry, involving one of the most bitter feuds in British business history, issued a 1990 report stating that the Fayed brothers had lied about their background and wealth. The bickering with Rowland continued when he accused them of stealing millions in jewels from his Harrods safe deposit box. Rowland died in 1998, and, without accepting responsibility, Fayed settled the dispute with a payment to his widow. (Al Fayed had been arrested during the dispute and sued the Metropolitan Police for false arrest in 2002. He lost the case.) In 1994, House of Fraser went public, but Fayed retained private ownership of Harrods. For years, Fayed unsuccessfully sought British citizenship. Both Labour and Conservative Home Secretaries repeatedly rejected his applications on the grounds that he was not of good character. He took the matter to court, but failed. It has been suggested that the feud with Rowland contributed to Fayed's being refused British citizenship the first time.

Seems a bit rough if he was never charged with anything. Tiny was obviously very bitter.... Course since then, he's paid for questions in parliament, so it gets a bit tricky!! :?

Got his own website....and "controls" his wikipedia entry.

http://www.alfayed.com/

As I recall weren't there questions raised over the origins of his wealth. Wasn't he married for a while to the sister of the Saudi arms dealer, Adnan Khashoggi.

Guess his ownership of Harrods has wrankled "the establishment"

Will he be changing his name to MacFayed. :wink:

Got his own website....and "controls" his wikipedia entry.

http://www.alfayed.com/

As I recall weren't there questions raised over the origins of his wealth. Wasn't he married for a while to the sister of the Saudi arms dealer, Adnan Khashoggi.

Guess his ownership of Harrods has wrankled "the establishment"

Will he be changing his name to MacFayed. :wink:

Fibbing about his savings and income is not a bar to a passport - half of UK mortgage holders have done that!! :lol: Marrying his money ditto. It does sound like "Tiny" was a member of the Old Boys' Club, doesn't it? At which juncture, Mr Al Fayed has a fair point in thinking there's a conspiracy against him amongst the upper echelons and one can see how that, in the face of loss and grief, looking to find a reason and someone to blame. led to him accusing the Royals over Dodi. I feel a bit sorry for him.