Minimum alcohol pricing

asperity

Tesco are currently offering a litre bottle of Bells whiskey for ?10 and that?s cheaper than what you can buy it from duty free.

Won't affect me in the least and if cheap booze helps to keep some of the yobs out of the pubs then I'm ok with that.

Bill :)

I'm sure the supermarkets would dance with joy to be told there was now a minimum price on booze. Nobody can undercut them and sell cheaper, so their market share is protected as they are still the cheapest option. Not only that, but their profit margin isn't just protected, it's increased - and nobody can criticise them, because it's the law! That'd put 5p on the shares too!!

If they do whack up the taxes, then for sure it?ll just restart the booze cruise industry again and cheap beer will still be available but from the back of a van.

The way I see it is that there?s nothing fundamentally wrong with low priced drinks unlike low priced food where some form of exploitation has to be considered. If the key issues are mainly health and the anti social effects then to what they did in the tobacco industry and force the manufactures to print bloody big warnings on the cans. If the problem is mainly younger and under age drinkers then again do as they did with tobacco and raise the age limit.

Bill :)

PS Sorry it was ASDA with the cheap whiskey not Tesco. :oops: