Tories to Tax Binge Drinkers ???

Dizzy

In the news today....

Tories Plan to Tax Binge Drinkers

Tax on alcopops and strong beer and cider should be trebled to tackle binge-drinking in Britain, according to the Tories.

A Conservatives government would target the alcoholic drinks they believe is behind the rise in anti-social behaviour and street crime.

Under the plans, the cost of a bottle of alcopops like Bacardi Breezer or Smirnoff Ice could rise by 50p, a can of Carlsberg Special Brew or Tennents Super by 32p and a three-litre bottle of Diamond White strong cider by ?1.25.

The extra cash raised would be recycled into tax cuts for lower-alcohol beers and ciders, which could fall in price by 8p a pint in pubs.

Shadow chancellor George Osborne said the Treasury would not take in any extra revenue as a result of the changes, which would not hit "the vast majority of law-abiding, responsible drinkers".

The UK's most popular beers, like Carling, John Smith's, Guinness and Stella Artois, and ciders like Strongbow and Magner's and wines and spirits, would not be affected.

The initiative comes amid growing concern about the impact of excessive drinking among younger people, with much of the attention focused on alcopops and super-strength beers and ciders.

Mr Osborne said: "All the conversations I have had over the last year with police officers, supermarkets and those whose lives are made miserable by the behaviour of binge-drinkers have convinced me that we need to take targeted action against the super-strength drinks and alcopops favoured by young drinkers.

"This package put forward by the Conservative Party does not hit the vast majority of law-abiding, responsible drinkers.

"Instead, we are making it much more expensive to buy super-strength lagers, ciders and alcopops, and using the extra revenue to cut taxes on low alcohol drinks.

"This is because we believe binge-drinking should not be used as an excuse for yet more stealth taxes."

Do binge drinkers only drink Bacardi Breezer, Smirnoff Ice, Carlsberg Special Brew, Tennents Super and Diamond White then ?????? Won't they just drink something else instead :roll:

And do the Tories really expect pubs to lower the price of a normal pint by 8p :roll:

Alcopops are no longer popular, sales have been falling for over 18 months. Stella which isn't affected by the tax hikes is very popular, but considering that most alcohol is stolen from or supplied by parents an increase in tax is merely a way of swelling government coffers. :roll:

As good as a tax by ABV isnt it. Why not providing the threshold is 5%. Lower cheaper, higher expensive.

Otherwise we will be encouraged to drink the tasteless UK brand drinks as opposed to the european level which is far more tasteful

And before anyone jumps on me, i am all against drinks with ABV's about 8% but the stuff at 2% is undrinkable.

Originally posted by wolfie:

Alcopops are no longer popular, sales have been falling for over 18 months. Stella which isn't affected by the tax hikes is very popular, but considering that most alcohol is stolen from or supplied by parents an increase in tax is merely a way of swelling government coffers. :roll:

good point, and the fact that stella also known as "WIFEBEATER" has a widespread reputaion for making people behave violently.

I myself avoid the stuff like the plague as I noticed a link between some of my own aggressive behavior to my shame as I certainly have never otherwise have a problem getting drunk (even very drunk) and remaining socialy pleasant and respectable to all.

Reports of what the Tories would or wouldn't do are pretty irrelevant anyway as political parties these days seem to treat manifesto "commitments" rather loosely at best. And as has been pointed out they would be hard pressed to beat Labour at increasing taxes!! :o:o:o

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear, my first disagreement with the party whip :wink:

There is no way on God's earth that tax will stop binge drinking.

When will the powers that be, and the powers that wanna' be realise that this is a social problem; it is also deeply ingrained in British culture.

This knee jerk tax it to stop it will not work.

:blitzed: