Social Mobility?

observer

Seems despite all the dumbing down of our education system, Britain is still lacking "social mobility" - so what's the answer? :? Are kids born into deprivation socially trapped? :shock: Can we all have "the dream" and realise it, even if we all want to become footballers or pop-idols? :roll: Or are a large proportion of folk just too thick to progress in society?! :wink:

Seems despite all the dumbing down of our education system, Britain is still lacking "social mobility" - so what's the answer? :? Are kids born into deprivation socially trapped? :shock: Can we all have "the dream" and realise it, even if we all want to become footballers or pop-idols? :roll: Or are a large proportion of folk just too thick to progress in society?! :wink:

Gosh so many questions. Expecting a simple answer well there isn't one and I don't even accept your premise. :D

The whole country is full of kids who are victims of the dumbed down education system.

It has turned many into Knuckle scraping neanderthals that have no ambition and even less education to drive the ambition. Social security is their right (as they see it) and why should anyone else have something better than what they can afford? is their look on life.

Tracksuits, baseball caps and pants tucked in the socks define this "underclass" of potential prison dwellers

Go and sit at any cafe in town and watch the world go by and you will see what I mean.

Tracksuits, baseball caps and pants tucked in the socks define this "underclass" of potential prison dwellers

Go and sit at any cafe in town and watch the world go by and you will see what I mean.

It would be wrong to assume everyone who wears this type of the clothing commits crime as that is simply not the case.

I called them "potential prison dwellers" merely an observation and nowhere did I say they all commit crimes. However I would be more expectant of them commiting a crime than a similar aged person who did not dress like that. It was an observation :wink:

Not my "premise" Geoff; but the conclusion of the Gov's own Social Mobility Task Force. :wink: Is it a coincidence, (generally speaking); that the children of say middle class teachers may develope a taste for learning, whilst the children of a chav matriach may struggle to read, write or even speak properly? :shock::wink:

Missunderstood your many questions.

No coincidence between teachers and their children's propensity to learn and realise the importance of learning. Teacher's children will as a consequence of their parent's skills, knoweldege and drive exceed more than those whose parents don't have such a background.

I'm involved in several initiatives to try and foster such interest and inspire youngsters to take an interest in helping children to aim higher and realise that they can have greater expectations. This involves poeple coming to school to talk about how they have used the skills learnt at school to get jobs such as rugby footballers, nurses, pilots, managers police man etc. They describe what they do and the rewards that they experience be it money, prestige, car, satisfaction, challenges etc.

There are too many children who do have the ability (so are NOT thick) and can succeed if barriers are lowered or removed (parents expectations raised for their chilren). However this isn't an easy process and is a long one.

I have written a letter to the reader's column commenting on my recent observations about youngsters who have inspired me and there have been more examples over Christmas.

It's easy to sit a in a cafe observing passers by but don't just focus on the young take a look at the rest.

We need to push and instill in children that they can achieve at what ever they want to do. As a parent I know how challenging and frustrating that is but then when you see the rewards it makes it all worth while.

I note in that one of today's papers it is being reported that top teachers are being offered ?10,000 extra to teach in the more difficult schools.

Thankfully, despite reality television, and role models who set a poor example, including their parents in some cases, many of our young people are keen for academic achievement.

I still believe the people who Baz describes are a minority, albeit one that is probably increasing and I sense more so females than males.

Give me a child of seven - and I'll give you the man etc: :shock: A child born into a "Chav" houshold, even if they could develope realistic and rational aspirations, has to combat the gravity of his/her upbringing, brought up on junk food, eaten while watching some mind numbing TV soap, amidst a fog of tobacco or spliv smoke, and the smell of stale beer cans - a case for some radical intervention to salvage the situation methinks?! :shock::wink:

"Quantify" - again?! :shock: The Council has already produced an anti-poverty strategy, with an index of deprivation throughout the Borough - alas, this Government didn't supply the funding or the powers to do anything about it. :shock: Talk about going round in circles! :roll: Seems, on the face of it, that if "the home enviroment" is a major causative factor in restricting ambition and aspiration in the young, then the form of intervention to break this cycle of ignorance, needs to involve less time at home and more time at school? :shock: As for the economic differentials, these have continued to widen under 11 years of NuLab, because they totally failed to re-introduce re-distributionary tax rates. :roll::wink:

That's the point I'm making Peter; the problem is one of re-cycling ignorance; the question is, how do you break that cycle? :? IF parents abuse their kids, Social Services take them into care (in theory at least, although no longer in practise it seems!); so if they neglect their children culturally and educationally, perhaps there is a case for some kind of direct intervention?! :shock::wink: