Interesting Article On Religion

Jonathan Levy

I don't know a great deal about religion to argue to finer points with you.

However I believe that the main arguments being put forward in Blair's latest lecture in the USA is along the lines of all faith's working in harmony.

It is his attempt to try and quell precisely the comments and opposing factions between religious groups that you are coming out with.

Personally I don't think that he stands a chance but I don't mind being proved wrong.

well having now read through this lot of posts it seems that, as usual, the bad has been highlighted and the good just not mentioned at all.

if you look hard enough you can find good and bad in everything not just religion and also sufficient facts to support either view.

i am not a religious person, i cannot say that i believe in god in whatever form he/she or it may take, but then again i don't disbelieve either.i work on the principle that with so many differing views on the subject from outright belief/faith to outright denial, then at least one must be right. which one i will not know until i experience the end of my life and thereby get a hopefully pleasant surprise.

one piece of good advice i have been given over the years,"never knock another persons religion, it tends to annoy them and generally leads them to try and save your soul if they have to kill you to do it"

on that note i will leave this and go and light a candle(the fuse for the lights has just popped :roll: )

• 2 months later...

I've been away doing other things, and coming back I laughed at Evil Sid's quote about converting you to save your life even if they have to kill you to do it, which sums up the stupidity and evil of forced so-called conversions.

The one perceptive thing Safeway56 said is that he noted I did not defend the church for killing people they believed were possessed, etc. When the church was a killing machine, it was an apostate church in disobedience to its true calling. Even then what it did was try people for heresy, then hand them over to the State who killed them. But that was all about obession with uniformity of society. Plus they killed people for wanting to translate the Bible and read it for themselves!

Plus, hint: who says God lets evil people live and the good die? Great Germany, the Cradle of the Reformation- look at it. Berlin a pile of rubble in 1945. I find 'Christian' nations who sin tend to get their butts kicked.

People are decent because we are made in God's image- which includes His ethical side. (Though we could argue pointlessly for ages over God's image versus evolutionary memes.

Religion, well, the story of Jesus is not some fiction written to fool people. And remember, it was religious people who killed Him too.

The church was not thoroughly evil until modern times. If you mean the Roman Catholic Church was, fine, but not the true Church, which often suffered terribly at the hands of the false Church. Church History is a verrrry big subject, and when the 'Church' was evil it was attacking the doctrines of the Bible, banning the Bible, killing the very people from whom Jesus came, the Jews, in spite of the New Testament's curses threatened on those who would wish to harm the Jews or even be arrogant towards them, and full of power hungry worldly prelated only interested in politics and kings and rulers interested in manipulating the church for its own ends, from Henry VIII to Hitler.

As for the lands God promised Abraham, if you check out the ancient maps, the Hebrew Empire under Kings David and Solomon, while they indeed stretched from Egypt to the Euphrates, they were nowhere near the extent you think they were. Besides, when King David suffered the head staggers and did his infamous census for egotistical reasons, God kicked him and Israel in the crotch, as they had gone too far. Especially for conscription illegally youngsters below the legal military age of 20. The Hebrew Empire was small meat compared to the Egyptian, Assyrian, Babylonian, Medio-Persian, Graeco-Macedonian and Roman Empires.

Take note that when Jesus came as David's successor and heir to the vacant Israeli throne, He rejected blind Nationalism. The Gospel was the only way. But, you'll not accept that, Safeway56, so let's shake hands, agree to differ and move on. Well, with that, my brief comeback to Warrington Worldwide is now complete and it is time for me to move on again. Bye.