Little Richard

Horace

Rev. Richard Wayne Penniman (born December 5, 1932), better known by the stage name Little Richard, is an American singer, songwriter and pianist.

A key figure in the transition from rhythm & blues to rock & roll, Penniman blew the lid off the 1950s, laying the foundation for rock and roll with his explosive music and charismatic persona. On record, he made spine-tingling rock and roll. His frantically charged piano playing and raspy, shouted vocals on such classics as ?Tutti Frutti,? ?Long Tall Sally? and ?Good Golly, Miss Molly? defined the dynamic sound of rock and roll and influenced generations of rhythm & blues, rock and soul music artists. In addition, his original injection of funk during this period, via his saxophone-studded mid-1950s road band, The Upsetters, also influenced the development of that genre of rock music. Little Richard was subsequently honored by being one of seven of the first inductees into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1986 and was one of only four of these honorees (along with Ray Charles, James Brown, and Fats Domino) to also receive the Rhythm & Blues Foundation's Pioneer Lifetime Achievement Award.

He was like a founding Father of Rock - I respect his music - some of it was quite toe tapping!!

• 9 months later...

I think to the people who were born around the 40's, music had an everlasting affect. It went from the Big Bands, Peggy Lee, the Rat Pack, to True Rock and Roll, (where if the music(or noise for Adam)) got you feet tapping, they were all good.

Little Richard, Jerry Lee, Bill Haley, Elvis, Eddy Cochrane gave us a decade of pure bliss.

Then the ballad singers took over, and dancing was never the same again, except at Weddings and parties. :wink:

Oh Artie, I fell in love with Guy Mitchell when I was about 12 and heard "Sparrow in the Treetop" for the first time. :lol:

This is from my listed "favourites" on Google. I had this record when I was about 14 and now have it on a CD along with all the good old songs he sang. I loved his voice, his looks and his "jaunty" personality; a great entertainer.

That Guy Mitchell song was a treat. He was a fave for awhile when he made a film with Rosemary Clooney -- he played the cowboy hero in RED GARTERS. She was the dance hall queen with garters. The song I hummed for years was: With a hoop and a holler and a dime and dollar I'm a lucky son of a gun. I guess you know, wherever I go, I tip my hat to none.

I saw Little Richard on interviews where he liked to say of his singing, "I scream like a white woman!" Enjoyed his cameo acting in film DOWN AND OUT IN BEVERLY HILLS with Nick Nolte. Richard is living in Beverly Hills and can't get the police to respond but his next door neighbor (white) gets response from an army of cops within 2 minutes of a distress call. Richard is complaining hysterically. He liked to act hysterical.

To mention Guy Mitchell in the same sentence as Little Richard is a disgrace.

She Wears Red Feathers v Long Tall Sally

Chicka Boom v Lucille

The Cuff Of My Shirt v Good Golly Miss Molly

Singing The Blues v Baby Face

Look At That Girl v The Girl Can't Help It

5-0 away win.

To mention Guy Mitchell in the same sentence as Little Richard is a disgrace.

She Wears Red Feathers v Long Tall Sally

Chicka Boom v Lucille

The Cuff Of My Shirt v Good Golly Miss Molly

Singing The Blues v Baby Face

Look At That Girl v The Girl Can't Help It

5-0 away win.

I love Bizet and the Beach Boys, Glenn Miller and Glen Campbell, Joan Sutherland and Joan Baez, Pavarotti and Presley. You can mention them all in the same sentence, it's not a contest. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tonymailman
One of them, he could certainly get the foot tapping.

One who would have been was Eddie Cochrane, but for his untimely demise.

Not to mention Buddy Holly also :wink: ........ REAL singers and musicians from that era :wink: